More Muslim Women Medics in U.K. Refusing to Follow Hygiene

Scaramedic

This one's simple: Employee terminated for being unable to fulfill critical requirements of job.

:D

A police officer who's religion prevents him from shooting someone is unable to fulfill job critical requirements of job. It does not relate to image or other company-specific policy...it relates to basic requirements of job.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Dwayne for defining ignorance for me.

My intent was not to call anyone stupid or imply it, as that has nothing to do with the meaning of the word. I have always used the word for its proper meaning and I did so in this case.

That is why I took the time to explain several things so you would no longer be ignorant.

Great discussion, I love it when it spurs passionate ideas and many wonderful tangents.

Problem is, only a couple of those commandments are actually translated to our laws. The fact that about seventy to eighty percent of the commandments are not law detracts from their credence. Now, if all -- or at least most -- of the commandments were law, there might be a more valid argument for their historical value status. As soon as the majority of Americans vote democratically to enact all ten commandments as federal law, I'll concede that they have a legitimate place in the courthouse. Til then, I say move them out of the way and make more room for me to stand and wait to renew my licence plates.

Ah, but the Code of Hammurabi are also found in many court houses [along side the 10 Commandments many times], including the US Supreme Court Building. I highly doubt that a large number of Hammurabi's laws are currently in effect in US Law.

The easy answer is for people to start being cognizant of their provider's hygiene practices an to stop being patients of people who don't comply. I've noticed that people's deep seated religious beliefs tend to take a back seat when they start losing money.

Orthodox Jews are an interesting example of adapting your religious needs to modern life. For instance, at Mount Sinai hospital, on the Sabbath the elevators stops at every floor so that observant Jews don't have to violate sabbath rules about using electricity. But see, this is the key. They adapt their beliefs to work with the modern world, the elevators keep running, no one has to use the stairs, and they keep their faith. Its a good system.

My view is that people can follow whatever cultural practices they wish, but if you want to live in the 13th century, then stay there. Don't expect modern conveniences if you don't want to live in the modern world. If you want an Ipod, modern medicine, and TiVo, then you have to give a little. Otherwise I'll be perfectly willing to send you a hookah for your entertainment pleasure.

To me, its this simple:

Comply with the rules, or get out! As healthcare providers, we're not supposed to ADD to the problems the patient already has, (ie: by cross contamination). We're not supposed to be the vehicles to spread these diseases (ie: MRSA/VRSA, etc)

Either conform to the rules, despite your 'religious objections') or get out of the field entirely!

Right. This seems to have strayed a bit from topic..

In regards to what I've seen in UK hospitals:

1. Muslim women that wear the veil & practice are a very small minority.

2. Instead of focusing on this tiny minority of people, it would be nice to see the rest of the medical profession wash their hands as often as they should, be they Christian, Jew, Hindu or whatever. Trying to scapegoat a small group of people in a large profession regarding a problem that effects everyone smacks of lunacy.

Either conform to the rules (despite your 'religious objections') or get out of the field entirely!

I think this can apply to everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.