training? exams? help...

jjslinkey

hey lads.

this is my first post so i hope its ok. i want to become an emt/paramedic, but because of everythig here at home im cant to the course myself privetly. so im starting to think about doing it abraod, mabey the states. so my question is, is it possible to do an emt/paramedic course in the states privately? and if so what exactly is the process? take a course? do the exam? or what? ive been trying to find out but no one is able to give me a good straight answer....

thaks

Jason

hey lads.

this is my first post so i hope its ok. i want to become an emt/paramedic, but because of everythig here at home im cant to the course myself privetly.

Welcome. Good spelling, punctuation and capitalization are appreciated. As well as proof reading before posting....I have no idea what the above sentence means.

so im starting to think about doing it abraod, mabey the states. so my question is, is it possible to do an emt/Paramedic course in the states privately? and if so what exactly is the process? take a course? do the exam? or what? ive been trying to find out but no one is able to give me a good straight answer....

As well, we're going to need a good, straight question. And I'm not sure what you mean by privately? At home? Online? Many here will be happy to help once we understand the question.... :wink:

Dwayne

thaks

Jason

You're welcome

In Ireland at the moment, it is very difficult to train/qualify as EMT/Paramedic, as all places on the national courses have been reserved/filled by those currently directly employed by the Health Service Executive or by the Defense Forces. As there are no private companies in Ireland to cater for those of us who are not employed in the aforementioned sectors, the only option left is to look abroad. Which comes to the question asked in my initial post - does anybody know how/if I can train/qualify as an EMT/Paramedic in the USA? And how/what is the proccess to do so?

Privately is actually the most common and best way to do it here in the U.S. Here, it's not usually a job you get hired for, and then sent by the government for training, like in the military. It's an education that you yourself seek out and complete with the hope that you will find a suitable position after the fact. Certainly not the safest way to go, but after all, that is the way most every other profession does it, so it makes sense.

Anyhow, it won't take much searching to find a programme that will work for you in the U.S. Cash is king. You pay, they teach. You'll have more hassle getting the student visa than you will in finding a school. And you will spend, at an absolute rock bottom minimum, one year trying to get everything. And that's only if you cut corners and take the expedient route that gives less education. To get a true, comprehensive paramedic education, you'll spend over two years here. That's still about two years less than you'd spend in Canadia trying to get it, although their education is definitely superior. But yeah, if you have a way to support yourself here while going to school full time, plus pay tens of thousands of dollars for a couple of quickie, private schools, you can go home a hero in a year or less.

Pick a part of the country you want to come to, then we can give you some more specific recommendations. Avoid the large urban centres like NY and Kalifornia if possible, as it is more complicated there, more competition, and the education is usually less comprehensive anyhow.