AAAGGGHHHH!!! My baby won't wake up.

brock8024

Crap, what are forgetting?...Assessment tool...Cap Refill? BP? HR? Bowel Sounds? Baby is only 5 days old, can't have much history...What medical history do mom and or dad have? How closely are they related? Amish don't take many meds usually, sometimes herbal suppliments...Normal delivery...we know it's a genetic problem that makes this baby not react well to something mom is passing in her milk...(sorry, just rethinking out loud) (feel free to help me think) BROCK I LOVE YOU DEARLY, BUT YOU ARE REALLY TESTING ME!!! Dark Urine, Altered LOC, seizure, hard to wake up possibly because of previous unwitnessed seizure, a little warm, but not too high temp...I do know this is a metabolism problem or allergic to something in mom's milk and it is rare and more common in Amish community

It is smell. The baby had not been eatting alot and no one really asked about the urine to see if it decreased and what it was like. Smell is very important in this case and others. LOL With the particular thing the urine smells like maple syrup

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know of any real prehospital treatment other than supportive care. The baby will need a special formula and probably won't be able to be breast fed. Maybe sodium bicarb to combat possible metabolic acidosis.

Well, I don't know of any real prehospital treatment other than supportive care. The baby will need a special formula and probably won't be able to be breast fed. Maybe sodium bicarb to combat possible metabolic acidosis.

I think it is really just a special diet is all and supportive care. LOL

There are three amino acids this baby will have to restrict from his diet for the rest of his life. Can't remember them right now, but did google it. That was a good one Brock...See you Monday...

Awesome I am going to try to find a brisket for mon. Have fun in the morning.

Great one :) I was going to say smell breath, until we got the blood sugar. But smell the pee!!! I'll remember that on my next ALOC call...sniff sniff :P

I want to be there when you go to do that. My I smell your pee I am a professional. LOL

But smell can tell us alot so I try to ask if my pts have funny smelling stool, pee , or vomit if i get a NVD type call. Well I try to remember too.

• 5 months later...
HOW IS IT TREATED? LOL you guys got it. I just wanted to remind people to ask about smells they can tell you alot about the patient.

High protein foods, such as: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, milk, dried beans, and peas are avoided. Instead, measured amounts of cereals, starches, fruits, and vegetables, along with a milk substitute are usually recommended. Phenylalanine free formulas are available for all ages.