We Have a Responsibility to "Market" EMT City

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shayne
I agree.. forums do market themselves. It is all about the members. I am not sure if we are in trouble.. in fact' date=' just the opposite.[/quote']

Wow just trying to create a little loyalty for our beloved emtcity.com and it has escalated to this?

In no way do I believe this site to "be in trouble". The subsequent posts have been wide ranging. From a guy with 75 posts that thinks he should be granted "MOD" status to those offended by my suggestion that we should support the site through either supporting the advertisers or contributing and finally those who actually understood what I was trying to say. Sometimes I'm bewildered by the simple thing that set people off.

This place gives us something that the NAEMT has failed to give us in three decades. And it gives me more education than I ever got in three decades of con-ed.

Thanks Dust, once again you jump in with a (in my tiny mind) an extremely insightful observation, to paraphrase there is not a single “Organization” to date that has done a positive thing for EMS as a whole. And I will put forth that the ones in existence today, actually cause harm. They use up precious resources (TIME, MONEY, PEOPLE) and are mostly run by bloated bureaucratic egotists, who’s only interests seem to be based on self promotion.

Time to start over and build from scratch?

Beyond that, when I needed a new stethoscope, I made sure to click on an EMT City advertiser's link to buy it. Same when I bought my old lady's stethoscope. Same when I needed some scrub suits. I have bought books and widgets from multiple advertisers and members here at the forum, because I feel that "responsibility" that the Captain speaks of. I think I would call it more of a sort of moral obligation than an actual responsibility, myself. But, since supporting this site and it's membership is the responsible thing to do, then "responsibility" certainly isn't an improper term. Listen, if you're going to buy that stuff anyhow, why not take a moment to buy from a sponsor or advertiser and help support the site? That's the way I look at it.

From day one I have tried to buy advertising space on this board, but there are kinks that still need to be worked out, so in the absence of a workable solution, I have just given money. I would like to clear up a misconception here, I have given money but don’t have a lot of it, in fact my little budding startup of a company is completely funded from my own pocket. So before anyone dismisses out of hand my giving over hard earned cash to this site as “disposable income” don’t, it comes with the same pain and choices of self denial that we all must go through before reallocating precious funds. I chose to give to this site not for personal gain as some have implied, but because it has great merit and greater potential.

If there's a way to take this nationally, as Snoop suggests, I'm down with that. Hell, I'd like to see this site replace the NAEMT as a national spokesman for the profession. I'd sure be willing to travel and staff an exhibitor booth at an EMS conference to promote the site, and I am sure others would too. Just think of it; it is, for the most part, the serious ten percenters in EMS that even go to those events, so imagine the benefits we could get from recruiting more of them here.

I personally don’t think a forum can or should replace or even fill in for professional organization, but growing though advertisement and booths at major EMS shows is a good idea (keep in mind the tables are not cheap).

But really, it all comes back to the original post here. We can all do our part to promote the site, and by extension, promote the profession. All it takes is a little grassroots word of mouth.

Great things have been started by grassroots efforts, from funding for local playfields to changes in federal laws, we should never underestimate the power we have, and further we must ignore the naysayers who say change can’t take place.

As always IMHO

Be safe,

WANTYNU

Instead of posting a third time just to apologize, why not just go back and edit them? :?

I tried and received a message that I couldn't delete the erroneous post because someone had already replied. I'm aware that this isn't the place for emtcity etiquette but honestly some of the idiosyncrasies are frustrating. Please try to overlook my errors and I'll continue to try to get better and if I cant I'll stop posting completely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.