Skill Test for Volunteer Squad

afd1307

you would do your patients a great service if you required this from your members when they are hired on or accepted into the volunteer service.

so many newbies or even veterans don't know their "stuff" and having a skills test would be one way to validate that patient care will be the best it can be.

a good preceptorship program can also go a long way.

Ruffems said

a good preceptorship program can also go a long way.

The paid sector should take a lesson from that. I had some good time in a VAS, tried for municipal, and was denied, as they didn't accept VAS experience as "experience".

Don't go in the water until you learn how to swim!

Anyone see any issues with making new volunteers take skill/practical tests to make sure they know their stuff?

I have an issue with volunteers NOT knowing their stuff... Part of the problem is that some (not all, but some) use volunteering as an excuse to not keep up on skills, not learn skills, and not be professional. Being a volunteer is not an excuse to not know your stuff.. If you want to do the job, know your stuff, and keep your skills up to date.

I think it is a great idea to have your vollies meet a minimum requirement. Here, our provincial standards are the same, regardless of whether you are volly or paid. You still have to meet the provincial standards and skills to work. If you don't meet the standard, you don't work, and that is evaluated annually through continuing education monitored by our provincial governing body.

I guess the questions I would put to those people who are not up to the level you think they should be is "Why do you think you know enough? Why do you think your skills and knowledge are at a level appropriate for the care you give? If it was a member of your family who needed care, do you feel your knowledge and skills are adequate?"

As an instructor, a scenario I put to every one of my classes is: if you were in an accident, or needed medical attention, would you want the personnel showing up in the ambulance to be the ones who barely met the minimum requirement, or the ones who excelled? I suspect everyone would want to be attended to by the one who excelled. So, my challenge to my students is - be the one who excels, not the one who barely makes the grade; then when you provide care, you know it will be the best you can provide.

For those members on your crew who are lacking, present them with that type of scenario.

Hopefully, your volly crew is having regular sessions where they can review skills, and maybe you can bring those vollies up to speed.

Wish you all the best.

Its tough cause where I am talking about is a collegiate rescue squad/team that offers a first responder type service. There is an interview process but no skills test for the people on the team. Then there are people on the team that work in EMS only when on campus, and others that work on campus and on full time dept. Everyone is licensed at the NREMT-B level, but its obvious that the skills are lacking for some people. If I am in a position of leadership next year I definately implementing some form of skill test, even if it is how to turn 02 on and change bottles, as that is something I have seen messed up by people on the team, very sad and annoying.

Thanks for the opinions. I wanted some ideas and thoughts to know Im not the only one that sees this.

I volunteer on a rescue squad and see some people working in EMS that just don't know their stuff. Anyone see any issues with making new volunteers take skill/practical tests to make sure they know their stuff?

I would take it a step further and test everyone on the squad on a regular basis. Having tenure on a squad does not ensure any level of competence and testing everyone eliminates any accusations of finger pointing or favoritism.

It may turn out some of the new people have stronger skill sets than some incumbents.

If testing exposes members needing training, meet with them one-on-one to set up necessary training and follow up to make sure it is completed and re-test. Handled properly (no public browbeatings), no one should have any issues with it.

If I am in a position of leadership next year I definately implementing some form of skill test, even if it is how to turn 02 on and change bottles, as that is something I have seen messed up by people on the team, very sad and annoying.
Be careful how you handle that. Pushing for tests, training, etc could make you very unpopular in a volunteer organization where the members are used to playing things loose and free. You could find yourself accused of causing conflict and disrupting the morale of the department. You may be think you are bettering the organization but others will see you as rocking the boat.

I've been there before.

Wait a second, some members on your squad can't even turn on a oxygen tank correctly.

Your service has more problems then just not having a skills test. It has some underlying problems that is gonna end up killing someone.

I urge you to try to start making changes, of course thru the proper channels as soon as you can.

Are you sure you want to be associated with a service who has some members unable to even do a simple oxygen bottle set up right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.