"Acceptable" driving record?

twon1981

I held a drivers license for several years before applying to drive my Volley Ambulance, as well as work the back. I was denied driving.

Another person joined the corps, with a license held for barely a month. The individual was a month older than I was. Accepted for driving!

All I can figure is, Politics!

Wow thats pretty lame. Maybe it was affirmative action :shock:

Most services would know you had little driving experience. An NCIC or DMV/DOT (depending on state) search would only reveal infractions on a persons driving record. Once you are licensed to drive in the states your home free. I suppose an exception to this would be if the service has a driving skills assessment (most do).

most services around here it's between 21 and 25 though most are 21, no major driving infractions, no more than one accident in last 5 years, less than 3 points on your license in last 5 years, and no suspensions or history or DUI (ever for our service). This is general info for my area.

as the OP states he is in the Uk it's unsuprising that he is worried about driving reuirements given that to even get anywhere nearthe driving seat of a Uk ambulance whether VAS or NHS organisational policies require a full licence approrpaite to the weight / seating capacity of the vehicle and anywhere between 1 and 3 years of driving experience. ( standard post 1997 EU 'car' (cat :) licences only cover to 3500kg gvw and 8+driver seats)

many organisations will only allow One driving offence endorsement (and only a 3 point endorsement) on entry to the organisation ( and in some cases with the voluntary sector - will pull driving authorisation if you exceed 3 points regardless of role or position - 12 points earns you are minimum one year driving ban and the minimum amount of points issued is 3 at a time - )

i'm not sure how he has worked as the equivalent of an LPN in the Uk as nvq 3 HCA is not a professional nurse role and the UK (along with the rest of the EU hasn't trained second levle nurses in the past 15 or so years) and NVQ4 roles in nursign environments are extrermely rare and still not considered a professional nursing role instead an associate / assistant practitioner role ...

Maybe need to rephrase the whole LPN bit... I've completed 2 years of my nursing degree, have worked as a B-Grade auxiliary and completed various SVQ's etc (so in retrospect, probably was slightly misleading with the LPN statement - it's quite awkward trying to see how equivalencys work lol)

Thanks to everyone for their input so far. Been very helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.