Fired for an education

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see I have some support! There were several others that wanted to take the class and for personal reasons beyond their control...they stayed with the company. I was the only one fired because I stood up for myself. There were 2 others that quit to take the class. All I have to say is......IN 9 MORE MONTHS I'LL BECOME A PARAMEDIC(I HOPE)

They have made me work even harder for this!

I don't know if it might get you blacklisted for doing so, but have you and that lawyer, with the "thick file" on your company. thought of going outside public? Like the local newspapers and TV station investigative reporters?

Just thinking out loud, if the lawyer says "don't do it", DON'T DO IT.

honestly this doesn't sound like something that needs any type of expose put on television.

Nor do I think it deserves a wrongful firing lawsuit.

You have learned a valuable lesson in your time as an EMT and this can be taken in two directions.

1. use it as the learning experience that it is and make your life better. You know what kind of people you want to work for and those who you don't.

2. Take it down the road of lawsuit and depending on the size of the area that you work in, if there is a small amount of EMS agencies in your area do you really want to be known as the one who will sue a company because they get fired?

Look at it from a future employer's thought process. They might think that this person (you) will sue them for firing you or that you will be a difficult employee. Not that you will be but to sue a company over firing you for this would be the wrond decision.

Your employer might have a strong case for the competition claim if they can prove that it's truly competition.

If you take them to court you have to be ready for some significant backlash.

Now if you are able to move to other areas then this point is moot. You can move away after your medic schooling and get a job 100 or 500 miles away.

Whatever you do I wish you luck but be careful.

I would have to agree that going to the local media is not the way to go. I think we already get enough bad press.

There may be a statement in your hire paperwork that addresses "competition" and schooling. How sure are you that the school you're enroled in is a good one? There are still a lot of people who believe that EMT's should go through each step of training and not jump from basic to medic. They may have put this in writing.

In any case, do what you think is right; but I hope you plan to get more out of this lawsuit than vindication. Your decision was probably a good one, but just make sure you look around to see how deep you are before you keep digging.

Good luck with your class.

I would have to agree that going to the local media is not the way to go. I think we already get enough bad press.

There may be a statement in your hire paperwork that addresses "competition" and schooling. How sure are you that the school you're enroled in is a good one? There are still a lot of people who believe that EMT's should go through each step of training and not jump from basic to medic. They may have put this in writing.

In any case, do what you think is right; but I hope you plan to get more out of this lawsuit than vindication. Your decision was probably a good one, but just make sure you look around to see how deep you are before you keep digging.

Good luck with your class.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.