Fired for an education

Recently I made the choice to go to college to take the paramedic course. The company I worked for offered the I-class, but I wanted to go to medic, so I found a college that offered what I was looking for. The boss called me and said "I just want to let you know that if you go to that class...you will no longer be employed here." I feel that I should get an education where I see fit. My classes would not have conflicted with my schedule. I have worked for this company for 3 long, hard years! Not only did they loose an EMT, but they also lost a potential paramedic.(Both of which they desperately need!) And for those of you wondering..."is that legal?"...My lawyer has a thick file already on his desk! My classes are going very well, and I have since began working for another company that is glad to have me!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any EMS company that doesn't support an employee seeking a higher level of education and or license isn't worth working for. Best of luck to you with the paramedic program and the new company.

You will likely see many more examples of mutts above you feeling threatened by excellence on your part. Its great that you are no longer employed by a worthless outfit that, not only wouldn't invest in your professional growth, sought to inhibit it through questionable employment practices.

Apply your energies toward excellence and forget those fools. Don't even wast time suing them because it will distract your focus and its highly unlikely you will receive enough money to make it worth the fight. Finally, you certainly don't want to return to that "outfit", as employee, as it would always be a strained relationship and they would forever be lurking in the shadows waiting for you to mess up.

Hard work will bring you good luck and now you're on; your way.......

Good on you for moving on! I wonder why they were so against the programme you entered? No matter. It sounds as if you are much farther ahead where you currently are.

Enjoy your education towards the paramedic level. I can attest to the fact that it will be worth the hard work.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress. :)

Kristinaemtb, I have a question.

The company says they will fire you if you take the course that you want to take, correct? Do they offer an alternative, say, the same course at a different venue, like community versus state colleges? Or is this course they offer a lower level of training, take it or leave it?

Richard, the company I was working for offers the EMT-I class with a bridge to Medic in the future, the classes I decided to take are EMT-P! The classes around here are taught by squads that have their accreditations with colleges. So...that being said...the other school I decided to go to is taught by another company 1 hour away. My boss says they are "competition", This is not so. The company I worked for doesn't even come near to running ANY calls in that area! I was merely getting an education from somewhere else. OH...did I mention that the boss doesn't like my instructor because she used to work for him? Conflict of interest? Or a personal problem?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.