Police Based EMS

There was a story on Rescue 911 or it may have been in a trade journal several years ago that featured an EMS service that was a part of the Sheriff's Office. The Paramedics were sworn, armed officers who performed regular patrol duties when not on EMS calls. According to the story the medics simply patrolled in their ambulance which was equipped with red and blue lights and a traffic radar. I really wish I could remember where I saw this story.

Many Many Many years ago this was how the old Louisville EMS was run as part of the Louisville PD.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry County (Indiana) Sheriff Department operates an ALS transport service. There isn't any information on the interweb about it however. I could get you a phone number if you wanted it.

Would kind of worry me, they run ALS fly cars that are police comissions. Red/blues, Sheriff stars, sheriff uniforms with badges, but no guns. *shiver*

EMS Flight is handled by Maryland State Police in Maryland at no cost to patients at all as it as seen as a service to people in the state. They would be a great place for info.

Is the State Police the only providers of air evac there?

That saves the patients about $7000 based rates for flight services here in NC.

Nassau county, New York, has an interesting system. All their 9-1-1 EMS calls are either handled by the community based Volunteer Fire Departments, the community based Volunteer Ambulance Corps, or the Nassau County Police Department Ambulances. Depending on availability, you might find all of them represented on a call.

Let's follow an NCPD ambulance run. County 9-1-1 dispatches a patrol car and an ambulance to a scene. The LEO is a CFR trained personnel, the person in the ambulance is an A-EMT (advanced emergency medical technician, figure a lower level Paramedic). The LEO and A-EMT treat, package, and transport the patient, with the LEO taking over driving duties on the ambulance. If it's a 2 person cop car crew, the second LEO will follow in the patrol car, called an RMP, or Radio Motor Patrol, and pick up the ambulance driving partner at the hospital. Otherwise, after the call is completed at hospital, the A-EMT drives the single LEO back to the scene to recover the RMP.

It sounds cumbersome, but, at least in Nassau County, and some of the towns in the county with their own Police departments, it seems to work for them.

That's right folks, some of the highest proper taxes in the nation will buy you the system described above. Remember, if you have Medicaid and live in the ghetto in NYC, you have two paid paramedics at your beck and call 24/7. If you live in Long Island, however, own a home, pay several thousand dollars in property taxes, you might get a police officer and one paramedic. Or a vollie squad. Or maybe the vollie FD. Long Island's system is a perfect example of what happens when volunteers are not curbed.

...it seems to work for them.

Except for the whole "POLICE" on the side of the ambulance encouraging people to chunk bricks through your windows thing. :roll:

Police Based EMS works fine some areas, but my belief is that it will not work everywhere, I believe though that State Police Officers/ State Patrol Officers should be trained to at EMT standards, Due to the remoteness of there travels..

Dave NREMT-B Retired LE Officer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.