Police Based EMS

Okay, I did a search and found some information, but unfortunately, not exactly what I was looking for so I apologize if this topic is repetitive.

I am doing research for one of my classes on police based emergency medical services. My particular interest is in police departments that utilize their officers as first on-scene paramedics with ambulance assistance for transport. I know there are four cities in the state of Minnesota that offer these services. It would be great if some one familiar with those areas (Cottage Grove, Woodbury) could offer some information. I would also be interested in hearing from those in other areas of the country

If anyone has any links to information I could use for my report, that would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance for you input.

Kat

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know here...in my little hick town of PA...that in my county all of our police officers are at least first-aid certified and AED certified. If not busy with another incident they are to respond to every EMS call and assist us. Sort of like first responders. It works fairly well. Most of the time they do not ride in with us though. The only time they do is if the person is combative, in cuffs, or if its a code and a very short handed crew.

There was a story on Rescue 911 or it may have been in a trade journal several years ago that featured an EMS service that was a part of the Sheriff's Office. The Paramedics were sworn, armed officers who performed regular patrol duties when not on EMS calls. According to the story the medics simply patrolled in their ambulance which was equipped with red and blue lights and a traffic radar. I really wish I could remember where I saw this story.

There are several towns in NJ that police run EMS and others that supplement volunteer agencies with on duty officers. What info are you looking for?

Devin

I am looking for information on police officer paramedics who are first to respond to a medical/trauma call performing ALS interventions. They carry some ALS equipment and drugs with them. When the ambulance arrives for transport, they go with if BLS truck and stay of ALS truck.

Specifically I am looking for why and how this type of service was initiated in the area, personnel and public response to it, exactly how the system operates, and benefits and downfalls.

Thanks for the responses and help.

-Kat-

Kat,

I found this link. I realise it is old, but it does give some hx as to the beginning of the service.

Hope it is some use to you. Good luck with your paper.

http://www.davesems.com/eunits.html

Yep..also check the Genesee County Michigan sherrifs department..They are deputies, and the actual police work is frowned upon. Mostly ALS first response for private alpha unit transport. Kind of a cluster f%$# of sorts.

Genesee County

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.