Should the NREMT bring up its standards?

Should NREMT bring its passing percentage back to an 80%?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I am REALLY disgruntled about the standard *edited to appease RID* being 70% to pass the NREMT. When I originally took the test it took 80% or better!! I know it is a Pass/Fail to get the certificate, but I would like to know that you missed less than 20% of the questions if you ever had to work on my family.

Sorry, National Registry NEVER has been 80% to pass written examination. Since its conception in 1973, 70% of the "over-all" is all that has it has required.

The Paramedic written does require "certain" higher percentages on portions such as cardiac, respiratory etc.. where as such as communications, role & responsibilities has not had mandated portion of pass. These encompassed score are then added up for on over-all pass percentage.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Rid if I had a scanner I would post my first results..........down at the bottom big as day it says 80% to pass right next to my score

And anyways here is the POINT I am trying to make............

70% is equiv. to a C

30% of 150 = 45 questions wrong that is almost two entire sections, would you want someone responding to you having chest pains that flunked cardiac and medical emergencies?? would you want someone delivering a baby that flunked OB/GYN?

EMT-P's already bag on Basics because of the lack of training recieved, why should we continue to let a C average be acceptable????? I will not jump on board with the argument that basic's should be allowed to do more, but I will make sure to push for higher standards of what is already there!!

I agree Phireman, we not need to lower standards. However, numbers are irreverent. I can write a test no one can make a 70% or have a test everybody can make a 90%. It is based upon criteria, & content. So when people throw up numbers on grades etc.. it really does not mean anything.

Maintaining standards and education level is important.

We must remember certifying examination ONLY test the MINIMAL acceptance criteria Therefore, only entry level knowledge is being examined.

Yes, I agree, have tougher standards, therefore the Registry CAN test on these. Don't blame the National Registry because our national standards are sub competent ! They can only test on the current standards & national curriculum. Let us raise the bar in level education, entry requirements & professionalism. But, at the same point don't whine & gripe about attending pre & co-requisite classes such in-depth science, English, math, & psychology.

Maybe, we can persuade whomever the management of EMS will be, to re-design education criteria in the future.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

But, at the same point don't whine & gripe about attending pre & co-requisite classes such in-depth science, English, math, & psychology.

I don't know where this came from... Is it just a statement?

I am just sick of the arguments of EMT-B's wanting to do IV's or Intubate. While I disagree with a few arrogant asses on here about the intelligence of an EMT-B, I do feel that professional standards should be brought to the max. IMO if an EMT-B wants to do IV's or ETT they should take the EMT-I or P, but I also feel there is a sub quality being produced in the EMS world, in the manner of instruction and testing. In the fire service you have to be a level above what you are teaching, in the EMS world you just have to attend a train-the-trainer class.

YES this subject is a very important one to me, and the purpose of this post was to see whom also it's important to, that's it nothing more. And as you can see there are already people who disagree with bringing up standards!

*edited to keep on subject*

:!: If I have figured the statement out right I take it to mean don't bitch when higher ed. requirements come out. I for one will not be one to bitch, but as with any profession at any level you are going to have the minimizer's, that just want to do what it takes to get by without taking the people they affect into account. :?: I think that is what you were getting at :?:

And we don't need to convince future managers, we need to CONVERT the present ones.

As I IM you, I agree with you. Please remember National Registry DOES NOT make the standards ! They only test over them. So if medics want to gripe about the test, gripe about the standards... Yes they suck !

Until we raise the national reading level of EMT's & basic educational level not much can or will be done.

Have mot of the medics you know participated in local or national committees to review or change such, or do as most .. .gripe, & not be active. Medics are known not to be involved at the grass root level, & rather sideline criticize. Be active in your local association, still have certification level... why not licensure level ? Get active !

Here are some web sites that I found interesting :

The 1'st is the NREMT scoring process, explaining how test are graded & why ...

www.nremt.org/about/about_exams.asp#Understanding%20NREMT% 20Scores

2'nd is the national advocates of EMS who helped developed & currently developing changes in EMS curriculum & profession

www.advocatesforems.org/

Professionally,

Ridryder 911

I recently took the national registry test...and there were some people in my class who had values and details memorized...but if you gave them a situation, they didn't even know how to go about responding to it. Some of them passed the test barely, and that scares me. I don't care if you have the whole book memorized if you don't know how to apply your knowledge!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.