WEMT's???

I'm a WFR through WMA. It was by far the best class I've ever taken. By far. I regret not taking my EMT class through WMA or SOLO rather than wasting several months of monday and wednesday nights hanging out with volunteer firefighters who aspired to get "hired on."

It's not really aimed at rural ambulance stuff, but at guides or SAR people. If you're planning to ride a cyclocross bike from Provideniya to Magadan or that kind of thing, fantastic, but it may be of slightly less value on the East Nowhere Township Ambulance Squad.

I'm a WFR through WMA. It was by far the best class I've ever taken. By far. I regret not taking my EMT class through WMA or SOLO rather than wasting several months of monday and wednesday nights hanging out with volunteer firefighters who aspired to get "hired on."

It's not really aimed at rural ambulance stuff, but at guides or SAR people. If you're planning to ride a cyclocross bike from Provideniya to Magadan or that kind of thing, fantastic, but it may be of slightly less value on the East Nowhere Township Ambulance Squad.

Trust me I know what you mean. I wish I would have known about it and I would have done the EMT class through them too, for the same reason. I plan to move to AK in the ext few years so I figure it would be beneficial./

Welcome to the site. There are some other discussions about it. Click on forums and go down to search forums at the bottom of the list. Search WEMT and Wilderness, etc.

We're really going to have to stop telling people this until we have checked it out ourselves. It doesn't always work as well as we think. In fact, the last time this topic came up, I told the person the same thing, and it turned out that, even though there were three previous threads, none of them were particularly informative or productive. Here is the only one that has any useful info in it:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...ight=wilderness

Hopefully this current thread might get more replies. I've seen good discussions of it at other forums, but it doesn't seem that we really have anybody here who is seriously into the wilderness training thing. I've looked into it a lot, and can't get excited about it. I find that the people who do are usually low-experience volly types who need all the training they can get. But hey, it's a lot more useful than one of those silly tactical medic courses, so if you're into the whole SAR thing, or a camping and hiking guru, it'd be a fun weekend, and it would behove you to check it out. But if you're just looking for a merit badge to look good on your resume, it's not really that impressive.

Having taken my WEMT-B through SOLO I can tell you it is was a better course than at the community college or any where else. You are there for one month training everyday except weekends (most people study or practice with equipment). The instructors have been active in the urban and wilderness medicine community forever. Regardless of what you might be told SOLO was the first to come up with a wilderness medicine curriculum. They are the best school out there for wilderness as well as urban emergency medical training. If you have any specific questions, comments, or concerns please post here. I know when I posted here the last time telling everyone I was going to take a WEMT course I was made fun of and ridiculed(all in good nature?). But the training was top notch and the experience was great.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.