Today, Jan 22, our fate decided: firemedics.

mrsmall

Today, the county commissioners of Marion County FL voted and by the end of 2008 all EMS will be provided by the counties fire dept. All of EMSA (current ambulance service) will be integrated into a fire/ems Hybrid. Pay rates will be "evaluated" and "should remain about the same". Everyone who is physically able to obtain their fire standards will have 5 years to do so. Everyone not physically able will most likely remain single certified paramedic/EMTs.

Thoughts?

Although I don't like the "Fire Hybrid" solution you will probably be much better off in the end as opposed to remaining with a private company. Hopefully there will be some manner the Fire Department can honor your seniority, retirement and accrued leave time, assuming you even have those benefits with the private company. Best of luck to you whatever happens

Although I don't like the "Fire Hybrid" solution you will probably be much better off in the end as opposed to remaining with a private company. Hopefully there will be some manner the Fire Department can honor your seniority, retirement and accrued leave time, assuming you even have those benefits with the private company. Best of luck to you whatever happens

Well I'm really not very worried about it, as I've just began my career. This will NOT be a good thing for most senior medics.

the ambulance service was ran by the main hospital of our county, which is non-profit. 5 years ago they pretty much went to the county and said we're not doing it anymore, we cannot keep losing the money.

The county, city, hospitals etc. all got together to fund and create EMS Alliance, giving all who fund an opportunity to eventually take over after 5 years.

EMSA is non-profit, and is there solely to provide EMS. Right now the system has 13 hour shifts, with differentials that give you a 10% pay increase after 2pm, 15% after 5pm, and 15% on weekends. So in theory you could make 30% more + time and a half on a weekend. With 13 hour shifts you get time to sleep, giving you the opportunity to work more hours.

Senior medics are making a killing off of overtime and differentials. That will come to an end. From what i've been told, the county has better retirement though.

the ambulance service was ran by the main hospital of our county, which is non-profit. 5 years ago they pretty much went to the county and said we're not doing it anymore, we cannot keep losing the money.

I can certainly understand where there coming from here.

EMSA is non-profit, and is there solely to provide EMS. Right now the system has 13 hour shifts, with differentials that give you a 10% pay increase after 2pm, 15% after 5pm, and 15% on weekends. So in theory you could make 30% more + time and a half on a weekend. With 13 hour shifts you get time to sleep, giving you the opportunity to work more hours.

Senior medics are making a killing off of overtime and differentials. That will come to an end. From what i've been told, the county has better retirement though.

This however, might have lead to the first quote. I do not pretend to know the in's and out's of your employer. It's just and observation.

Every year we have met our budget or beat it. I believe we're at about a 57% collection rate, which has gotten better every year. I think administration was doing a good job. Everyone in the alliance is pulling out at the end of the contract. By law, the county has to provide service if no one else will. The county was stuck with the service, and today was the decision was made to either keep EMSA as a 3rd service, or to combine it with fire. I think it's more of a cost thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.