New York - FDNY visit

VDCavey

In October/November of this year, my girlfriend (911 dispatcher and volunteer EMT) and I (Corrections officer and volunteer EMT and firefighter) are going to visit New York for a week, we were hoping it would be possible to visit a FDNY station. I was hoping someone here could tell me how to arrange this. Above al of this I was planning to ask her to marry me on this trip, so any good advice on an original way of doing this is very welcome.

Some snooping around learned me that we even cod get married in the state of New York and have this legalized in Belgium afterwards, which could also be an option.

So any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Try [web:96f3b22184]http://www.notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx[/web:96f3b22184] for a start, it a great insiders guide to NYC. May give you some ideas.

Here's everything you need to know about getting married in NY.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm

Unlike most Europaean countries, anybody can get married in the U.S., regardless of citizenship, and there's not much hassle. We figure you'll get enough hassle after the marriage. :lol:

Marriage?!? Oh boy!

Well good luck, and remember:

Marriage is a great institution, as long as you don’t mind being institutionalized.

-w

Visiting an FDNY Fire House, an FDNY EMS Station, or one of our "combined" houses should be simple enough, but I don't think a "ride-along" can be arranged for.

Try by "snail-mail,"

Fire Department New York,

9 Metrotech Center

Brooklyn, NY 11201

Attn: Office of Public Affairs

or link to

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/home2.shtml

for more information.

As for me, currently in an ongoing relationship that started in 1988, preceded by a 9 year long engagement that didn't result in a marriage, I am no poster child for suggesting how to propose!

OK, OK, but if she says yes, don’t call back in 5 years asking “what did I do!!!”, it is understood you do this by your own free will.

A handsome cab (horse drawn carriage) around central park, ask the driver to stop at Bethesda Fountain (the center of the 72 st transverse) around $40 an hour.

Drinks and Dinner at the “Top of the Rock” at Rockefeller center, around $200 (depending on drinks) dazzling view of NYC. (need to call a couple of months in advance for a good table).

I’m not sure when it opens but Rock center also has an Ice skating rink, if it’s open, rent some skates and get on bended knee in the center of rink. Around $80.

There, that’s three sure fire spots, don’t blame me if they work….

-w

OK, OK, but if she says yes, don’t call back in 5 years asking “what did I do!!!”, it is understood you do this by your own free will.

I already asked that question a while ago... :oops:

But how hard i yelled back then "never again", I just cant help myself....

A handsome cab (horse drawn carriage) around central park, ask the driver to stop at Bethesda Fountain (the center of the 72 st transverse) around $40 an hour.

Sounds nice...

Drinks and Dinner at the “Top of the Rock” at Rockefeller center, around $200 (depending on drinks) dazzling view of NYC. (need to call a couple of months in advance for a good table).

I guess that you make more money back in NYC then we in Belgium do :)

But hey, you only propose twice in your life :lol:

I’m not sure when it opens but Rock center also has an Ice skating rink, if it’s open, rent some skates and get on bended knee in the center of rink. Around $80.

Me and skating would only give you guys an extra ride, and it would propably not be my knees i will be on but my face :shock:

There, that’s three sure fire spots, don’t blame me if they work….

-w

Thanks for the tips :)

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing you will gain by visiting an FDNY EMS Station is to see how the FDNY (Freakin Dummies of New York) treat EMS as the bastard step children of their service.

Go to the Station @ Bellevue Hospital and see how the "Station" is really a bunch of pre fab trailer in the ER parking lot, or better yet go o the Barnd new Station on 223 and Merrick Blvd in Queens and see haow, ther is no kitchen, there is no bunk room and there are no sleeping facilities. Then compare that to a traditional FDNY Firehouse with sleeping quarters, full kitchen cable TV, bucnk room, washer dryer, etc.

FDNY took over EMS for one reason CALL VOLUME. They can now say, they are the busiest firedept in the country with 1.3 million resonses. Too bad that 1.2 million of theose are EMS and only about 400,000 are fire related.

for further google FDNY sucks and check out the web site designed by a 20 year Paramedic in NYC. see what he thinks of the "merger"

Good luck with the marriage

FormerEMSLT297, as far as you know, is the FDNY Bureau of Investigations and Trials still fighting with AOL to find out that person's real name?

I'll let you tell the tale, if anyone asks what we're talking about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.