cpr test?

Is It hard? I've read some stuff it doesnt seem like it would be hard.

Well, it is definitely harder than it looks in the book. But no, it is not hard. I've taught thousands of high school students and don't recall ever having one flunk. Some people lock up at the end, when they start hitting you with evolving scenarios and you have to recall steps on the fly. They get over it soon though. I wouldn't sweat it, unless you're like really, really dense.

how old do i have to be to become an emt? can i start school at like 16 and then wait and work when i turn 18?

Depends on what state you live in. The bigger question is, how old do you have to be to actually get a job as an EMT. That's the hard part!

To the best of my knowledge, NO state issues a full EMT "ticket" until the EMT candidate passes the practical and written tests. Such tests can only be administered to someone who is 18. That can be as tight as the test being the day of the candidate's 18th birthday.

(New York State)

I wasn't able to take a class until I was 17. I took my first EMT class the summer between my Jr. and Sr. year of high school and took the IL state test. I knew I had to be 18 to be certified to run. But I ran my first official call the day before my 18th birthday. My coordinator knew somebody and the state allowed me the one day. So it can be done. If you're younger than 17, soon to be 18, have patience. You'll get there. More power to ya.

If I remember correctly to be certified for just CPR, AHA or Red Cross, you can take the class at any age, but can only be certified at either 15 or 16. I've heard both. I think it's up to the instructor.

And by the way. A lot of the test is just common sense. Be familiar with the basics and the rest will fall into place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.