Paramedic math!

tskstorm

Don’t get hung up on the specifics, just because they name certain drugs, the questions don’t ask for effect or are the choices correct, they’re really only math questions. You stated you were looking for word questions, not pure math (6/2=3).

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. By "word problems," I meant things like, "If Johnny has five dollars, and apples cost 22 cents a piece, how many apples can Johnny buy?" Those can still be answered in multiple choice format. I didn't mean essay problems that require a composed answer. Sorry for the confusion.

By using apples, you can easier stimulate people to find their own way towards problem solving, showing what they really know. Although anybody who can solve the apples problem should be able to solve the medication problem too -- after all, it's the same equation -- it will throw many candidates for a loop. Yes, I agree that those who aren't thrown for a loop are probably your best candidates. But just showing their ability to do algebraic deductive reasoning is enough for me. If they can do that, it'll only take me a day to show them that drug calcs are just as easy.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were learning drug calcs before I transfered to RN, we used basic nursing medication guidebooks, there are a wide variety available on Ebay and amazon and can be transfered to the EMS field as they relate to over time, weight, conversions *SLED - Smaller to Larger Equals Divide* etc.

Might help might not, worth a shot and consult your pharmaco section of your brady book *hint hint* there is a maths section in there.

Scotty

I know you had said earlier that the school doesn't want to do much in the way of actual drug calcs. Being that the case, what about drip rates?

For instance: You have a 30 minute transport and need to infuse NS at a rate of 250/hr, how many drops per minute on a 60gtts set up?

Something like that. It's part of the NSC for EMT-B, so it should already be known.

• 2 weeks later...
Attatched is something I put together for my organization. It's not a test, but good referance material based on your topic. I also included something I found on the net.

thanks but your about 15 months too late lol

Hahaha, I didn't realize the age of the thread either....

Oh well, interesting stuff anyway.

Dr, orders 3 gtts of xxxx drug, OD qid.

What is his order in plain english?

I have never really been a good student, but did quite well in English (as notable in the number of postings here), and Music. However, my math skills and my Foreign Language studies (Spanish in public schools, Hebrew in religious school), then as well as now, still leave much to be desired.

Due to my low math skills, should I not have become an EMT? I've only been doing it for a short time, specifically, from 1973.

Due to my low math skills, should I not have become an EMT? I've only been doing it for a short time, specifically, from 1973.

Richard my advice is quit now you will never last in this field. :P:D

I have never really been a good student, but did quite well in English (as notable in the number of postings here), and Music. However, my math skills and my Foreign Language studies (Spanish in public schools, Hebrew in religious school), then as well as now, still leave much to be desired.

I agree with Spenac! Get out while you can! The quicker the better--remember, even though you will not have built up much in retirement, you can always roll it over to an IRA! :D:P