Basic vs. Medic

dust devil, my flip flopping my views is a result of educated debating. I conceded that if we were to make paramedic entry level, we should do something about education first. In lieu of that, the experience you get from being a basic will just have to do. I also said that my view of the situation comes from my area, where basics are utilized in 911 work. In your corner of the world, it may be different, causing your views to be different.

Blank slates are just that, blank! What happens when you get the all too familiar scene of two brand new EMT's on a truck, just because your system needed bodies. Then what do you have. You can blame it all on the company you work for, or you can say I wish they had some sort of experience to back up their medicine.

All I am trying to get across to you is that until the education system changes, we can't expect people to get the concept of paramedicine by being taught by individuals who are so closed minded that they don't think they can learn anything from someone who has a different patch on their shoulder. The day we say " you can't teach me something, your just a basic" is the day we can say we've seen it all. That is the day we need to hang up our scopes.

I am sickened by those people who abandoned their basic skills long ago, yes. I sat on scene (as a basic) waiting for the over inflated, egomaniac paramedic to get his tube on a GSW to the head for 10 minutes. It wasn't until I put my foot down and said DUDE!! this guy needs a surgeon, not a medic, BLS his airway, we're gone!" And you know what? I was right. the guy lived. The paramedic had nothing to offer him that I, a basic, couldn't. In fact, had the medic gotten his way, he probably would have turned anoxic and boxed. Is this only one exaple, yes, can I come up with more times that is was my paramedic skills that saved the day, sure, but you gotta give it to me. Somewhere in our system, whether it be region specific or not, basics are important.

As far as me keeping EMS from progressing, I whole heartedly disagree. In fact, the simple fact that I have allowed myself to change some of my views based on what is written here, would tell you that I am hyper progressive, and proactive in the field. I believe that closed minded individuals, those who cannot be convinced that their way isn't the only way, are the ones holding EMS back. Standing ground is commendable, but when that ground is built on a fault line, one has to have the humility and flexibility to step aside and let the ground rumble underneath. If you didn't catch the metaphor, when change comes at you headlong, understand that you don't own medicine. Old school, and new school will clash, move the heavens and earth, and positive, middle ground change will result.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobbits, where are the Hobbits, you can't have ground trembling earthquakes and middle earth without hobbits....

-w

.................the EMT-B cautiously pokes his nose into the room and asks..............

"Need any help beating dead horses in here or should I call the ASPCA???"

Some very valid points on both sides of the coin here. But I think the defining post, and really the only reasonable stance is this.............

I believe that closed minded individuals, those who cannot be convinced that their way isn't the only way, are the ones holding EMS back. Standing ground is commendable, but when that ground is built on a fault line, one has to have the humility and flexibility to step aside and let the ground rumble underneath. If you didn't catch the metaphor, when change comes at you headlong, understand that you don't own medicine. Old school, and new school will clash, move the heavens and earth, and positive, middle ground change will result.

Considering the high price of Paramedic classes ($3200.00 plus books and testing costs) and a year and a half of your life to learn how to do something you might not like in the end...........

OR you start by taking EMT-B ($550-650) and six months of your life to learn how to do something you might decide to learn more about............... :wink: :wink:

All I am trying to get across to you is that until the education system changes, we can't expect people to get the concept of paramedicine by being taught by individuals who are so closed minded that they don't think they can learn anything from someone who has a different patch on their shoulder.

I'm not even sure what that has to do with anything. :?

But since you mention it, what are you doing to change it? You're an instructor, right? And you think that education needs to seriously improve, right? What are you doing to improve it? To me, it sounds like you are ceding that nothing can be done, and that we just have to accept the system as it is. That until "they" -- whoever they is -- change the system, we should just go on about our business as usual, as we have for thirty-five years, and keep on parroting the same old nonsense that we know to be wrong, just because "they" haven't changed the system for us. Dude, you are they! Change starts with you! Education is a leadership role in EMS. Education is not for the timid followers of the status quo. Take charge! Be a part of the future, not the past. That's what frustrates and puzzles me about you. You seem to be a smart guy with an ability to adapt, but ultimately you're failing to do so, and I just can't figure out why you won't take that next step.

I'm doing my part to change the system. I am extending the hours it takes to pass my class. I make the course harder to pass. I bounce those who fail to meet minimum requirements. Unfortunately, I am only one person. I can only do what I can do. From here, I haven't the slightest idea where to go. I am not bill brown. I do not sit on the national faculty. I do not have the types of connections that I would like to have. My question is, what's the next step? You say I fail to take the next step, yet that step has not been defined.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.