Basic vs. Medic

I was reading an earlier post about someone who was taking an EMT course in High school, and he wanted to know if it was a good idea. He was able to pull from that discussion that yes it was. What I was reading though, was an argument that he should go straight to medic school afterwards. I was appalled to hear that there were a few people who discounted basics as inadequate and antiquated. Their argument was that there was no knowledge or skill gained by working the field as a basic, and that they were all but a useless body in the field of emergency medicine. I was sickened to hear that these individuals, some who had spent time as a basic, could feel as though emt basics had nothing to offer. I am a Paramedic, have been for some time, I was a basic for many many years. In all 18 years under my belt working in EMS. To this day, as both a Paramedic, and field Supervisor, I find my basic EMT's to be both valuable, and grossly under used by many systems. To those who truly believe that they are both better and smarter than basics, I say "SHAME ON YOU!!". We all started as a basic, and it is those "skills" that we rely upon when things go bad. If we miss a line, miss a tube, or miss a diagnosis, we fall back on the experiences we had as basics to care for that patient. When we hit those lines, tube that patient, and nail that diagnosis, it is the experiences we had as basics that allow us to do that. What's the difference between difficulty breathing, and anxiety. M.I. and anxiety? Whats the difference between a swollen reddened lower extremity, and a compound fracture of the tibia?....Experience!! Lets embrace our basics, and offer them the environment to gain very valuable street experience first before we encourage them to become Paramedics. Don't we owe it to our patients to be the very best at every level before moving on? Isn't that why the National registry created different levels who's skills are clearly defined and are vastly different?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bring up some good points. Many of them have been discussed ad nauseum before on this site; be ready for the vociferous "go all the way NOW" folks to pick your post apart and roast you slightly. They mean no harm... they actually have some good points about furthering the American EMS educational system. Hope you have a good time debating!

Just a warning for what's coming! :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I was reading an earlier post about someone who was taking an EMT course in High school, and he wanted to know if it was a good idea. He was able to pull from that discussion that yes it was. What I was reading though, was an argument that he should go straight to medic school afterwards. I was appalled to hear that there were a few people who discounted basics as inadequate and antiquated.

Their argument was that there was no knowledge or skill gained by working the field as a basic, and that they were all but a useless body in the field of emergency medicine. I was sickened to hear that these individuals, some who had spent time as a basic, could feel as though emt basics had nothing to offer.

I am a Paramedic, have been for some time, I was a basic for many many years. In all 18 years under my belt working in EMS. To this day, as both a Paramedic, and field Supervisor, I find my basic EMT's to be both valuable, and grossly under used by many systems. To those who truly believe that they are both better and smarter than basics, I say "SHAME ON YOU!!".

We all started as a basic, and it is those "skills" that we rely upon when things go bad. If we miss a line, miss a tube, or miss a diagnosis, we fall back on the experiences we had as basics to care for that patient. When we hit those lines, tube that patient, and nail that diagnosis, it is the experiences we had as basics that allow us to do that. What's the difference between difficulty breathing, and anxiety. M.I. and anxiety? Whats the difference between a swollen reddened lower extremity, and a compound fracture of the tibia?....Experience!! Lets embrace our basics, and offer them the environment to gain very valuable street experience first before we encourage them to become Paramedics. Don't we owe it to our patients to be the very best at every level before moving on? Isn't that why the National registry created different levels who's skills are clearly defined and are vastly different?

First things first, paragraphs will make your post more readable. I'll post my thoughts on this issue in a few minutes. While this post covers a dead horse topic (I'll throw some links to a few epic threads in a bit), I decided to at least make it so that people who see this won't have a stigmata of the eyes before they reach the end.

Oh, another thing, expect someone to come in here and say something about the search option. With almost 10,000 posts in 5440 threads (http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/statistics.php), the search option is almost worthless unless you know what your after.

Epic EMT-B discussion threads

A call to arms! EMT-B's defend yourself! 320 posts

Should we do away with EMT certificate 67 posts

I hear ya. I've actually been a member here for awhile, and although I never really got into posting bulletins or replying to them, I felt it my duty to defend the validity and honor of the basics that I work with. I'm sure that this topic has been discussed at horrible lengths, and have been involved in many of those discussions in the classes I've taught or taken, but it just never seems to dissipate. I suppose it is an argument for the ages.

ok, let's just stop the medics versus basics threads.

We read the same thing on these threads over and over again.

I would urge admin to lock these additional threads as people who don't use the search function do not see how often we beat this poor horse. It's dead already.

Plus, coming here bashing those of us on the forums with your very first post is not something that will endear you to the majority of the group.

I do say welcome to the forums but please try to review with a search before you bring up the medics versus basics.

ONe other thing of note - breaking up your paragraph into easy blocks to read is better than one long batch of sentences.

WE are not all jerks or I'm a medic so I'm better than a basic but if you would have done a search you would have seen the number of posts that are very articulately written that spell out why you need more than the training given to basics currently.

I urge these medic versus basics posts to be stopped. They just devolve down to the same posters giving their views over and over again.

Has anyone else noticed how really USELESS our search function is? I never use it. You get nothing productive from it.

I am not for locking the threads. Until it reaches the same people arguing over and over. Every time, we learn something from new voices, and you can either get slammed for posting a new thread on it or resurrecting an old one... either way, you get it here.

New Medic/basic thread? Simple solution. No likee topic? No readee topic! NO POSTEE on said topic. Ignoree topic! Nuff said?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I will apologize now for the dead horse beating. I apologize for not using the search function, but having to sort through your words still does not allow my voice to be heard in a way that I think it should. If this is a dead issue, the postings would stop completely and we wouldn't find it necessary to continue these threads.

This is the reason we are here, isn't it? So that EMT's have a voice. One that is not suppressed by state and local politicians? How about that thread. Lets change directions here. If you don't like the questions about basic versus medic, I will consider that battle fought, and since I'm arrogant enough, I will call it won.

Do you believe that we should be run by the fire dept. at the state level? Do you believe that the local fire dept. should be scene command on medical, non-MVC calls? Try that one on for size, unless of course Thats been debated at length. If so, I've got more for ya.

Look guys, if you want to change the field then we need everyone that's involved that we can get. Bitching that someone isn't using the search function (granted, stating that you're a long time lurker isn't helping much) in a forum with almost 10,000 posts isn't going to work, espeically when the "quick search" function is essentially useless. No one has a gun to anyone's head forcing them to post or even open the thread. It's not exactly like the thread title was hiding what the thread was about.

ahhhh grasshopper I see a fresh voice here. I like your style.

Yes the emt versus basic has been beaten to death but you were not out of line for posting it, it's just that I think that these forums have seen this type of thread over the past 3 months about 30 times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.