How Many Responses?

While I have not had a chance yet to verify this, as per a letter to the editor in the New York Daily News' "Voice Of The People", Friday January 11, 2008 edition, an EMT from Manhattan, under caption "Answering The call", wrote

The contract will be discussed in a different string.

How many responses did YOUR department/squad/corps/company/agency do in 2007?

While I know you are just quoting, the numbers are a little off...

FIRE DEPARTMENT

City of New York

Statistics

Citywide Performance Indicators

01/01/07 - 12/31/07

Citywide Ambulance Incidents & Runs

Thats over 1.3 million.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/stats/ems_cwsum_cy07.pdf

I'm going to stop complaining now. We only did just over 80,000. Of course we can be down to as few as 8 trucks on any given day to fully manned with around 22 trucks. I can always tell whether it's an 8 or 22 truck day, without looking at a schedule. I can run from one call in 24 hours to my record of 22 calls in 24 hours with two of them being triple transports from minor MVC's. Ratio counts. So does showing up for your shift.

In our little crevice of the world we ran just over 5,000 calls. Roughly 300 of them were IFT's and contracted stand by's and the rest mostly 911. We have one ALS truck 24/7 and one 12 hour truck from 6a-7p with a second crew at night being on call from home.

Lets see all of these are paid services, number people in immediate area, aprox number of 911 calls, some of theses units back up other services in area as well:

600 people 18 calls 1 ambulance 24/7 ALS (hospital 20 minutes from station )

2000 people 345 calls 1 ambulance 24/7 ALS ( hospital 30 minutes from station )

10000 people 1500 calls 3 ambulances 24/7 ALS ( hospital 5 minutes from station )

2400 people 68 calls 1 ambulance 24/7 ALS ( hospital 2 minutes from station )

6000 people 700 calls 1 ambulance sometimes ALS ( hospital 90 miles from station, primary for over 2000 square miles, nearest back up an hour away )

Just a few basic rural stats.

lol so many high numbers. my little service covers about 4,500 total people maybe closer to 5,000 and we have two ambulances and ran about 700 calls

My service covers 3200 sq miles (rural/urban) and a population of 2.6 million. We generally average 900 emergency calls per day. 383 Paramedics and approx 474 EMT's. Each ambulance at my station (the busiest station in the patch) averages 10-14 emergency calls in a 12 hour shift.

I've just been speaking to a friend who works a little south of me at London Ambulance service. It covers 620sq miles and handles approx 4000 emergency calls per day. It has 407 Ambulances and 150 Rapid Response Vehicles (Cars and motorbikes). It employs 840 Paramedics and 1,550 EMT's.

How many units does NYC run?

I have to get back to you on that one.

As for the population served, we're a community of about 8,000,000, with approximately another 2,000,000 transients during the course of each 24 hours.

I also don't recall the miles of area we cover, or how many of these calls were done by FDNY EMS ambulances, ambulances run by some of the hospitals in the NYC 9-1-1 system, private ambulances running under contract to the hospitals under the hospitals' contract to provide ambulances to the NYC 9-1-1 system (these last two referred to, in the NYC 9-1-1 system as "Voluntaries), and the independent community based volunteer ambulance or volunteer fire department ambulances in the 9-1-1 system via the Mutual Aid Radio System (MARS).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.