VQ MATCHING

LyonN

V/Q stands for ventilation/perfusion. Why they have a "Q", makes absolutely no sense to me. Every healthy person has ventilation/perfusion matching. It's when you have a ventilation/perfusion "mis"match that you have a problem.

Either you're ventilating more than you are perfusing or you're perfusing more than you are ventilating. A PE would give you a V/Q mismatch, or pneumo, or Pickwickian Synrome (morbid obesity with hypoxic drive and known CO2 retention), yadda, yadda, yadda.

I tend to chase rabbits. I'm sorry if I did.

MSDeltaFlt gave a good summary of the concept. In addition to Ruffems suggestion, also try searching for "Ventilation Perfusion Mismatch". That will probably dig up a few more results then V/Q Matching or even V/Q Mismatch would.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to post them and we'll do our best to answer them!

Welcome to the city :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.