PA Schooling.

Have any of the RN's here considered or gone through PA Training? What are your opinions on the schooling involved? I'm having a difficult time finding any concrete information on what's involved in getting the licensure.

Start here ---> http://www.paworld.net/paschools.htm

You'll just have to go to the various school websites and check out their programme descriptions to see some examples. Near you, you have a pretty wide choice of routes to take. You can do it with just an AAS programme at RCC, requiring only a few prerequisites. Or you can go to Loma Linda and finish an MS programme in the same time, but requiring a BS prerequisite. I'm not familiar with the two programmes first-hand, so I don't know if one really comes out a lot better prepared than the other or not. I'd like to find some school reviews.

Although the prerequisite courses vary greatly (from 45 hours of minimal pre-requisites, to a BS including all the normal medical school prerequisites), it is almost universal that they require about 2000 hours of documentable patient care experience. This is because PA was established as a "next step" programme to turn allied health providers (military medics, originally) into primary care practitioners. It was never really intended to be a zero-to-hero programme for Joe off the street. That shouldn't be a problemo for you, long term, but just beware of that, because it puts you in the same boat as you were with RCC paramedic.

Some other sites that will be useful to you are:

http://www.nationalassociationpa.com

http://www.aapa.org/pgmlist.php3

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forums/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=113

www.sempa.org

• Over this last year and a half, it has become pretty clear to me that this is my next step after the war. It would take me more than a year to finish a BSN to qualify me for an NP programme. I already have everything I need for PA (unless they make me re-take old courses or something), and really, my experience positions me better for acceptance to PA school than an NP programme, so it's a no brainer. And for the type of practice I am interested in, PA is just a more intuitive choice. Not a slam on NP at all. In fact, I respect NPs more in most specialty disciplines. But I think my previous nursing background will serve me well to help bring a wholistic approach to an allopathic practice.

I have a feeling that this may well be a better option for you than EMS, bro. If so, good luck!

And, of course, minus 5 for posting in an inapproprite forum.

Over the weekend I was helping my fiance move some stuff into her new house and it became pretty obvious to me that lifting anything over about 120 lbs. is going to be a huge burden now with the pins in my hip. So becoming a Paramedic is, unfortunately, out of the question as I fear I would potentially be putting peoples lives in jeopardy.

My Vocational Rehabilitation is actually going to pay for my BSN, through obtaining an ASN at RCC and then transferring to USC for the BSN.

I was under the impression that you had to be an RN for at least 4 years before you can become a PA, but on thinking about that further it wouldn't make much sense. However, I'm probably going to practice as an RN for a while before heading off to PA school and seeking out my Master's Degree just so I can get the experience and save up a nice nest egg to live off of while I'm doing the training.

Seems like the best route, I really crave education. So I don't want to just stop at a BSN, I'd like to try and take my educational development in the medical field as far as realistically possible starting from square one now at the age of 25.

Seems like a good route, thanks for the links.

If you're going the BSN route to begin with (unlike me, who bounced around aimlessly for so many years), and depending upon what type of practice you are interested in, you may be better off going NP. It's a more intuitive transition in most cases. And depending upon specialty, there's a good chance that the educational preparation would be better. But once you have finished nursing school and practised a little while, you will know that. It's amazing how many people end up in specialties that they weren't previously interested in after a little time in nursing clinicals, so no hurry to choose that focus. Regardless, nursing school and practice is definitely better preparation for advanced practice than EMS.

Are you still in the military? You may want to consider the Interservice PA program if that is an option.

Dustdevil, are you looking at the Interservice PA program?

Take care,

chbare.

Dustdevil, are you looking at the Interservice PA program?

I wish that were an option.

My understanding from the many PAs I have worked with in Iraq is that they only take enlisted men, not officers. While that kind of bums me out personally, I do understand and appreciate the purpose and intent of this policy, and I like it.

One of several PA schools in my home area is run by an ex-Air Force PA with a soft spot for vets, so I am hoping that gives me an admissions edge!

I think you may in fact be able to attend as an officer. (At least through the National Guard.) As I understand, you would need to reclassify into the SP Corps prior to the start of the IPAP course. In addition, your rank may change; however, it should be possible to go into the IPAP as an officer.

Take care,

chbare.

Something else to consider may be..It has been communicated to me that in the years preceding 2010, an MSN program will be next to impossible to find. It is my understanding that by the year 2015, all new NP practitioners will have to attain doctorates. A clinical doctorate of nursing practice would potentially put nurses in a better position for extending their scope and provide more complete care.

Depending on the timeframe you are talking about with your education, PA may be a better choice. I know a few individuals in a physical therapy program previously a masters. When the programs switched to doctorate, they were forced to extend their scholastic plans..kind of disrupts one's life.

Even if you attain a masters NP, in the future with the mandate towards doctorate, it may be a bit more difficult to find a practice. Just a thought and, if I am wrong, I welcome correction.

I was in the understanding most PA programs were now graduate level or to be required by most states to have such. The one I attended was for a B.S. but changed to a M.S. level, as well. It used to be solely for RN to PA but now a B.S. is all that is required, (of course with other requirements).

The North Dakota program was developed for rural areas, and one can attend at the University for a short period (usually 6 week interval) and then return back to their home town for clinical period inter acting back and forth, usually over a 13 month period. They then set for the PA-C graduating with a M.S. Usually, there are grants for such programs.

Here is a link :http://www.und.edu/dept/registrar/catalogs/Year0305/graddept/depts/pa.htm

For as NP's having to have a post graduate/Doctorate level, it is still a hot topic but probably will be required as it appears now. The advantage is to allow and recognize educational level and professional status. This also opens up the ability to increase and compete in billing status similar to what Psychologist/Counselors, Physical Therapist; many Pharmacist, both now requiring a Doctorate Level as well for full reimbursement from payers.

Our state now requires new P.T.'s graduate to have to have post graduates, and the P.A. program is within the medical school as a post graduate study. Ironically, it is told that the P.A. program is more difficult to enter than medical school.

Good luck,

R/r 911