Do you help off duty?

LisaO925

IMGambu.jpg

Now this is the only way to go clothing wise :)

This is the result of years of research into the subject - it's safe and hi-vis in all weather types. And no-one could accuse you of being a cop, could they?

WM

Mistaken for a cop? No

Mistaken for a member of ABBA, definitely. :lol:

I thought I already answered this post but alas it was another post on the same subject. So once again my answer is no, never, not gonna happen wouldn't be prudent. See one of the other 20 answers I have given on posts like this for further clarification.

Dust vs PMS'y student and Dust still wins. I haven't seen such one sided fights since before Tyson became a cannibal.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each scene is different but I personally don't feel the need to do more than call 911 as I drive past. Yes, I have a jump bag in the trunk of my car. That doesn't mean I look for reasons to use it. Depending on the situation there is a remote chance that I may stop, IF there are no other responders on scene. If a responder (fire dept, EMS, Police) is pulling up or already on scene I keep driving. I drive about 100 miles aday in my POV and have yet to pull over and use my EMT training.

YAWN!!!! :roll:

I am still going to come here, its not like anyone has run me off. I like to stay for those that dont feel the need for personal attacks. That actually might care about what they do enough to help out a student, or anyone with a question. I know there are a few of them on here, and I am very thankful for them.

boy did she get defensive.

What gets me is that she has only one school's experience and she's telling us that Dust is wrong. She's also saying most of us are wrong but then again because she's in da class that put's out some really qualified people then we are all wrong.

Keep that ego honey, it will serve you to be able to keep your head up when you are pointed to the door.

She sure is spunky though.

I'm glad she put dust in his place. I've known dust for a while and I haven't been able to do that.

I get the fact that I am just a student. I get the fact that a few here seems to be Dusts groupies, and hang off his sac like thier life depends on it.. I noticed that a while ago :D:lol:

I never said my school is the best. I said I loved it, and that I do know it has a great record of turning out well qualified EMT-B's.

He basically, no he did, called me an idiot for wearing a uniform that the school TELLS ME I HAVE TO. What was I supposed to do. March into my class, say, "hey I want my money back, some guy on an internet board said we are all idiots, and your wrong!!!"

I dont think so. Uniform, or not, whats most important is that I LEARN what I am supposed to learn. Do I have some sort of ego right now? No, I know my place. Am I proud of what I have accomplished so far, HELL YES. I dont think that there is anything wrong with that.

So, its okay for him to attack me because hes Dust, but I cant even defend myself because I am a student, or a newbie? Or cause I have tattoos? Cause I ask questions? :roll:

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, listen, here's the thing. Dust didn't call you an idiot for wearing a uniform. He called people who believed they were getting their money's worth because they wore a uniform. Now if you don't think that just because you wear a uniform to class, you're getting your money's worth, then you are not an idiot.

As for the groupie thing, yes there are a lot of people on here who will defend Dustdevil's position, even when he is having a bout of cranky old man syndrome, and that because people on here respect him, and they respect him for the same reason that you're having such a hard time, he has years and years and years of experience in law enforcement, firefighting, and both prehospital and in house emergency medical care. That's why his opinion carries more weight than yours, and if EMS is something you are really serious in, then you had better get used to curmudgeony old men and women with more experience in their little pinkie then you have in your entire body giving you a hard time, because believe me, medicine is full of them, and they are by far the best teachers you will ever encounter.

Now, this all started because of your question, which, IMHO wasn't so much a question but a request for a round of pats on the back and three cheers for you. In parlance, this is known as a rhetorical question, such as if I asked "Am I the only one who still cares about patients?" on here. They are silly and we have no time for them.

So, if you have an actual question, such as "Does anyone have any tips for BVMing?" or "What's the best way to get someone onto a backboard from a seated position?" there will be people on here jumping at the chance to answer them. But if you're simply looking for answers to rhetorical, self-praising questions, you need to look else where.

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, listen, here's the thing. Dust didn't call you an idiot for wearing a uniform. He called people who believed they were getting their money's worth because they wore a uniform. Now if you don't think that just because you wear a uniform to class, you're getting your money's worth, then you are not an idiot.

As for the groupie thing, yes there are a lot of people on here who will defend Dustdevil's position, even when he is having a bout of cranky old man syndrome, and that because people on here respect him, and they respect him for the same reason that you're having such a hard time, he has years and years and years of experience in law enforcement, firefighting, and both prehospital and in house emergency medical care. That's why his opinion carries more weight than yours, and if EMS is something you are really serious in, then you had better get used to curmudgeony old men and women with more experience in their little pinkie then you have in your entire body giving you a hard time, because believe me, medicine is full of them, and they are by far the best teachers you will ever encounter.

Now, this all started because of your question, which, IMHO wasn't so much a question but a request for a round of pats on the back and three cheers for you. In parlance, this is known as a rhetorical question, such as if I asked "Am I the only one who still cares about patients?" on here. They are silly and we have no time for them.

So, if you have an actual question, such as "Does anyone have any tips for BVMing?" or "What's the best way to get someone onto a backboard from a seated position?" there will be people on here jumping at the chance to answer them. But if you're simply looking for answers to rhetorical, self-praising questions, you need to look else where.

Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me. I did not mean to come across as looking for pats on the back. My first and foremost question was, is this normal, am I normal. And sadly my title was changed on me, and the thread went 20 different ways from Sunday. I didn't even give a situation to be patted on the back. I drove past an accident, and got excited. Then I questioned myself if that was a tad ggruesome or mental. I wanted to advice of seasoned professionals, and others if that is an okay feeling or allowable to go into this field. I didn't want to be going into this just to be a paid lookie-loo. Then for sure I would not do my job any justice, or my patients, and have no reason going into this field. Knowing that some people feel the same way made me feel better. That was the whole start to the thread. And then I did the mistake of asking another question with the original, and everything got lost.

Now, this thread beyond where it should have been, and it totally out of control. If I could lock it, I would. I would have done it pages ago.

Again, thank you for your time. I have alot to learn, and want to be very good at what I am doing. I look to this site for alot of help and info, even if I don't post daily.

I think the feelings you have is what got most of us into the EMS field in the first place, so consider it "normal" at least among us EMS "freaks."

The sad part is that a large portion of the people in our profession no longer stop to render aid off duty. I think there are several reasons for this but ultimately I believe it is just burn out & laziness. Most state it is a fear of legal reprisal or physical risk. And while there is some physical & legal risk I don't think it is substantiated by actual facts. Though you cannot rely on Good Samaritan Laws. In most states they are based on protecting MDs & Nurses, and they fail to cover most Paramedics and/or EMTs. But the best protection is to not do things you aren't allowed to do, and to act with the pt's best interest in mind. And to be prepared to protect yourself as well. Things we should do normally as part of our job.

The other reason I believe we fail to stop is that we as responders tend to treat bystanders and unaffiliated EMTs & medics really crappy when we arrive at incidents. Most tend to feel as if they aren't valued or completely dismissed by responding crews. (Thus the comment about only stopping in your own jurisdiction, where you know the responding personnel.)

With many agencies beginning to emphasize "Customer Service" programs, continued discussion in forums such as this, as well as better stress management programs for personnel to reduce burn-out, maybe we can begin to treat each other better and begin to improve our communities by creating attitudes & enviroments where people will again want to get out and help each other.

The other reason I believe we fail to stop is that we as responders tend to treat bystanders and unaffiliated EMTs & medics really crappy when we arrive at incidents. Most tend to feel as if they aren't valued or completely dismissed by responding crews. (Thus the comment about only stopping in your own jurisdiction, where you know the responding personnel.)
I think that's actually part of it, to be honest. I as far as being lazy...I don't think so. I think it's just that we know how little we could actually be of help at accidents scenes after going on so many.

Another might be based on big city versus small towns. In LA, you can see up to 3 accidents on your 20 minute freeway commute to work. Then, you're going to see maybe 1-5 more on your 24 hour shift. Then maybe another one on your way home. Times that by however many shifts you work. Things are so congested around here, no few accidents get enough speed to be critical. But I know other areas where "flingers" and high speed head-ons on 2 lane rural roads are common, so maybe you would stop more there....

But yes part of it is looking silly stopping for most simple accidents when EMS arrives. It makes you look like you're a newbie rushing to help...even most roll-over are totally fine. Always the chance, but if you're stopping for all of them, you're going to get weird looks.

I think the feelings you have is what got most of us into the EMS field in the first place, so consider it "normal" at least among us EMS "freaks."

The sad part is that a large portion of the people in our profession no longer stop to render aid off duty. I think there are several reasons for this but ultimately I believe it is just burn out & laziness. Most state it is a fear of legal reprisal or physical risk. And while there is some physical & legal risk I don't think it is substantiated by actual facts.

Are you s--ting me? Check out Line of Duty Deaths sometime. A good portion of them start off with "Paramedic X struck and killed while working at an accident scene".

Do you work in the same field I do? The one where I have about 13 people with interesting bumper stickers and 'jump bags' running around without PPE not exactly sure what they're planning on doing?

With many agencies beginning to emphasize "Customer Service" programs, continued discussion in forums such as this, as well as better stress management programs for personnel to reduce burn-out, maybe we can begin to treat each other better and begin to improve our communities by creating attitudes & enviroments where people will again want to get out and help each other.

Customer service is for Starbucks, Wal-Mart, and Medicaid factories. I don't have customers. I have patients. I do what is in their best interest, not what makes them happy. Capital driven medicine is one of the best ways to start doing some real damage to patients. People now believe they need a medicine because the TV told them so, not their doctor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.