should we do away with EMT certification

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway Medic's are almost like surgeons/doctors in the field.

Really? Medics have 5-7yrs of schooling (on top of most likely a bachelors already), a couple years of residency and have an education debt of over $100,000? I think not. I'm not disrespecting medics in any way, shape or form, but you cannot call them "almost like" a doctor/surgeon. 1500hrs of education/training does not a doctor/surgeon make...not even close.

Really? Medics have 5-7yrs of schooling (on top of most likely a bachelors already), a couple years of residency and have an education debt of over $100,000? I think not. I'm not disrespecting medics in any way, shape or form, but you cannot call them "almost like" a doctor/surgeon. 1500hrs of education/training does not a doctor/surgeon make...not even close.

I immagine that a more accurate saying would be "medics are the closest things to doctors/surgeons in the field."

So I guess that means that security guards are pretty much the same as cops too.

And the guy painting the stripes on the parking lot is about as close to Picasso as we'll ever see.

So I guess that means that security guards are pretty much the same as cops too.

And the guy painting the stripes on the parking lot is about as close to Picasso as we'll ever see.

I hope you're not being sarcastic about the guys who paint the stripes being Picassos...if you are...you need to see them where I live! :lol:

Anyway Medic's are almost like surgeons/doctors in the field.

What does that make the specialty teams of RNs/RRTs who have at least 4 more years of education, have more protocols and can do many more skills than a paramedic? They also function outside of the hospital and sometimes outside of the U.S. on transports that may last up to 12 - 24 hours for one patient with several hours of that being in transit without a hospital easily accessible for miles.

What does that make the specialty teams of RNs/RRTs who have at least 4 more years of education, have more protocols and can do many more skills than a paramedic? They also function outside of the hospital and sometimes outside of the U.S. on transports that may last up to 12 - 24 hours for one patient with several hours of that being in transit without a hospital easily accessible for miles

But they still aren't surgeons or doctors.

That's the point. Even with many more skills and better pay, they know who they are and don't have to pretend to be "like" anyone else that they aren't.

BTW, both RNs and RRTs can do scene response HEMS in some areas as well as interfacility with their advanced skills.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.