should we do away with EMT certification

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i only read the first post but this is my stance on the subject. i'm fully behind getting rid of EMT certs and going straight to medic but i think the fresh medic should serve a probationary period of assisting a seasoned medic in the field and prove their competency over that time before becoming full fledged...like and half and half EMT/medic......from my point of view, EMTs seem to just be ambulance drivers and medic assistants

Am I reading this correctly? Now we are comparing medics to MDs? That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have read in a very long time. How is it that anybody would think for two seconds that a MD would start running EMS calls in PLACE of medics? I agree with Dust, Setting up clinics would come first and thus sending the medical community in to a tail spin back to the 1800's, and the days of house calls. I could see some good and bad with that scenario, but does anyone think it would really happen in the US with our desire for convenience? RRT and Rns would be way more logical in this aspect which tells me that we as medics are not even secure with our level of education. Guess this should be a wake up call for all of us who are comfy to continue educating ourselves for the sake of job security.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.