should we do away with EMT certification

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paramedics are there to stabilize and transport. To open up the scope for an AS degree you'd basically be turning them into RN's/LPN's(LVN's). EMT-B's are there to assist Paramedics. Neither are trained with the expertise to perform grossly life saving techniques that Doctors are. None will be supervised by a Doctor like an RN would in performing certain techniques.

Since EMTs (B, P, other letters) are operating without direct supervision of a physician, shouldn't that mean that they should be more self reliant and need more education than an RN who operates under direct supervision?

Furthermore, I present that there are numerous services out there that utilize the EMT-B level for general ambulance operations for both emergency service and interfacility service (which can include emergency calls itself). Therefore, I offer that EMT-B serve a much greater role than as a helper for EMT-Ps (although basics do save paramedics from doing manual labor). Unfortunately, the level of education that EMT-Bs have is only about enough to prepare them to be an organic blood pressure machine for medical calls.

I've already said this before, but we'll never get rid of EMT-B's because private company's can pay them minimum wage. An EMT-B and Paramedic responding to a call that isn't multiple patient is essentially doing the same thing an EMT-P/EMT-P team would. The only way you'd see EMT-B's getting eliminated is if EMT-P's took a pay cut.

Ugh, I'm not going to keep debating a topic that has no solution against multiple people. I've stated my opinions, though you've constrewed some of them inappropriately. But I don't have the patience to try and defend and/or explain what I mean to a bunch of people.

You win.

well, I agree. Dirty black socks has no field experience. If he did, he would realize just how lacking RNs really are. No, Paramedics don't need extra training, they already have a base knowlege above what RNs do. Ivasive, goss life-saving skills, every day. It's what we do.

well, I agree. Dirty black socks has no field experience. If he did, he would realize just how lacking RNs really are. No, Paramedics don't need extra training, they already have a base knowlege above what RNs do. Ivasive, goss life-saving skills, every day. It's what we do.
Wait what? Could you outline the base knowledge of each?

Academically, I can get the base knowledge of a paramedic in about 4-6 months of full-time school at the paramedic schools around here. Don't pretty much all RN's need to take full college courses like microbiology, A&P, etc?

"well, I agree. Dirty black socks has no field experience. If he did, he would realize just how lacking RNs really are. No, Paramedics don't need extra training, they already have a base knowlege above what RNs do. Ivasive, goss life-saving skills, every day. It's what we do."

Sure you are not confusing skills with education? You can teach anybody to perform an "invasive life saving skill."

Take care,

chbare.

Wait what? Could you outline the base knowledge of each?

Academically, I can get the base knowledge of a paramedic in about 4-6 months of full-time school at the paramedic schools around here. Don't pretty much all RN's need to take full college courses like microbiology, A&P, etc?

RN's require an AS degree along with Microbiology, Anatomy And Physiology 1 & 2, Developmental Psychology ect.

While the day to day experiences of a Paramedic and RN might be similar. RN's have a superior knowledge to Paramedics. I don't need field experience to tell you that. Your basic RN can challenge a Paramedic course with little to no problems straight out of school. I doubt your average guy is going to be able to pass the State Board for RN Licensure straight out of Paramedic training.

EDIT: That's somewhat misleading of me to say. If you were to compare say an RN who specializes in working in the ER; with a Paramedic. Which I think is a fair comparison.

I have several RN's in my family, as well as Paramedics. I know a little bit of what I'm talking about. I just don't have any field experience outside of roughly 5,000 hours working as an Army Medic.

The focus of the RN is different, I would say the foundation of sciences is much stronger with an RN versus a shake and bake medic. (A&P, core science and math courses, microbiology, etc.) I am not sure that an RN would be able to challenge the NREMT-P exam process as a new grad. The focus of core nursing care is so different from that of the paramedic that most new grad RN's would not be successful IMHO.

Edit: I would not compare an ER RN to a paramedic. Again, the focus of care and environment is very different. Understand, this observation is from somebody who has several years of ER experience in addition to EMS experience.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.