should we do away with EMT certification

I say we set a date of Jan 1, 2010 to have no one besides paramedics on ambulances. This allows all that want to continue in EMS to get paramedic license.

Then start a massive ad campaign letting public know who we are and what we do.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the best medics I have had the privilege to work with or teach NEVER worked as a basic. It is not much more than a formality in most cases, to have to be licensed as a basic first. With the scope of practice at this level, I don't much see the use in EMS as much as transport work and maybe first response. I'm not trying to be a sh!t, but it is what it is..all the basic education can and should be incorporated into one program and leave the basic classes for lifeguards and FF first response...probably not a popular stance, just an honest opinion.

I posted this in another topic of discussion...kinda applies here.

I don't think necessarily do away with it, for transfers and such..just not in EMS proper. Emergency ambulances should have paramedics.

While it is important to note that those of us that are paramedics were not born as medics and had to be an EMT at one point.

This was the formality I was talking about. Unless you WANT to deliver advanced first aid for a living, not many people get into EMS to be a basic EMT. Aside from the aforementioned FF and lifeguard..I don't think there is any valid argument as to the necessity of basic before medic, and against incorporating the basic curriculum into paramedic degree..notice the DEGREE part...

I

Require the Paramedic to be at the least an associate degree level. With the same general education as other science degrees. No exception or "technical" degrees. Each State would license through a board of EMS within their own state, like the nursing and other health care professionals. National license would never occur, but the NREMT could be improved and used as a standard organization to test and used as a reference center allowing easy transferring of license from state to state.

R/r 911

No Technical Degrees???

Most Associates programs (in fact all of the ones in the southeast I am familiar with) are ALL Technical Degrees---Associates of Applied Technology!

These are all accredited schools---but you somehow think this isn't enough?

hmmmmm.....

I move there should only be MD's on the units...period.

So there :salute:

I can think of a handful of uses for basics that generally fall in line with the idea of a first responder (i.e. amusement park first aid, etc). I can also see using the basic level of certification for interfacility transports that requires movement techniques and oxygen therapy (i.e. hospital discharges, dialysis runs, etc). I will note here, though, that there is absolutely no reason why these patients needs to go by ambulance. This patient population would be served just as well by an unmarked van (no emergency lights) with a gurney in back as they would by an ambulance.

No Technical Degrees???

Most Associates programs (in fact all of the ones in the southeast I am familiar with) are ALL Technical Degrees---Associates of Applied Technology!

These are all accredited schools---but you somehow think this isn't enough?

Semantics.

The quotation marks indicate Rid is referring to those diplomas that are not actually degrees, associates or otherwise, that many medics still call their "paramedic degree". He is not referring to associate degrees.

And no, they are not "all accredited schools" either. Only a small percentage of the medic schools in the country -- degree granting and non -- are nationally accredited medic schools.

Believe it or not...all of the ones in the immediate area (In Alabama of all places!)

are nationally accredited!!!

WOW!

I knew it was semantics about the degree---but had to throw something (sorta) fresh into the arena to get a response.....

(oh, and the AAT is only one of several degrees---it is the least of them as well)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.