Re-taking registry every 2 years poll

Will you continue to be a part of NREMT if required to recertify by taking the written test for each renewal?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES--I will do whatever is required
    • NO --getting through the Test one time is enough
    • What?--Registry will keep it as it is forever

From the re registration materials I rec'd from Registry, you can take the written test 1 time, or complete the normal refresher requirements.

Do you think NREMT will require testing every 2 years to recertify and will you do it to remain NREMT?

I took the test in Nov. for recertification...what a joke!!..sure beats trying to gather all those credits in two years. I'd do it again, sixty questions and out...(LUV the C.B.T. from Pearson Vue.) :D

I think they will stick to the recert every two years, I think they should add practical competency proof though, we have to in Michigan to keep our license every three years. 10 practical credits minimum. It would be a good start..

I would take the test if I HAD too but I, in my case, enjoy taking the recerts. I know i dont speak for every one but I don't work the field so I enjoy the chance to be in class and go hands on at least a little bit........

I would not gamble in taking the test. I talked to our State EMS Training Officer today and discussed the options. Apparently you have only one shot.. with the increased fail rate, why gamble?

Wow for a Paramedic is only 24 hrs CEU, I usually have that at least every two months.. and I usually teach the refresher, or the other option is to have all the usual alphabet courses (AMLS, PEPP, ACLS, PHTLS) in lieu of a refresher.. so it is not that hard to re-certify.

Personally, my state requirements are identical as the NREMT, so why not re-certify (as well, my service requires NREMT).

R/r 911

I was under the impression that 72 ceu were needed for paramedic recert. In some areas, it is difficult to get these and, to be honest, the test is not that hard. I'm still not sure why the failure rate. It sure seems to be a bit easier than the written one, if the questions for the recertification test and certification test are indeed from the same bank.

I agree that seminars, lectures, and recertifications have their value, and updating your education or information base regularly should be a professional decision not solely based on recertification or relicensure. To recertify for the NREMT...a test is a good way to be sure you have maintained some sort of minimum competency, at least on information recall or application. It wasn't until recent that FP-C could be recertified by ceu, and it is a bit tougher to get them approved as they have a 100% audit policy for the classes and credits claimed.(edit )I bring this in because I believe that this certification holds more creedence than NREMT...My opinion

I think the test is good and should be available, with additional clinical or practical ceu or documentation necessary also..If you take the test and fail, you simply need to satisfy the 72 ceu requirement and the necessary signatures..

I was under the impression that 72 ceu were needed for paramedic recert. In some areas, it is difficult to get these and, to be honest, the test is not that hard. I'm still not sure why the failure rate. It sure seems to be a bit easier than the written one, if the questions for the recertification test and certification test are indeed from the same bank.

I agree that seminars, lectures, and re-certifications have their value, and updating your education or information base regularly should be a professional decision not solely based on re-certification or relicensure. To recertify for the NREMT...a test is a good way to be sure you have maintained some sort of minimum competency, at least on information recall or application. It wasn't until recent that FP-C could be re-certified by ceu, and it is a bit tougher to get them approved as they have a 100% audit policy for the classes and credits claimed.(edit )I bring this in because I believe that this certification holds more creedence than NREMT...My opinion

I think the test is good and should be available, with additional clinical or practical ceu or documentation necessary also..If you take the test and fail, you simply need to satisfy the 72 ceu requirement and the necessary signatures..

NREMT requires 24 hours of CEU for Paramedic level, 36 for Intermediate and 48 hr for basic level, however; the refresher hours are increased as the higher level.. i.e 24 for Basic and 48 for Paramedic. Do not confuse the refresher with CEU a totally different topic, and verification.

I was informed by the NREMT that you are able to take the NREMT test once if you are choosing that route to re-certify. I would presume that most would not re-test unless they did not have the other requirements. As well, the test is the same for initial and re-certification, there is no special "re-certification" test.

Far as pass rates, I have seen multiple variables with the new CBT. Similar to NCLEX, one does not really know or what will be emphasized anymore. I have seen idiots pass it, on which most of the questions were scenario based and the next week those with Master Degrees in Science take it and fail having physiological questions over ACE inhibitors and v/Q perfusion levels... so I would not gamble with the new inconsistency.

As the State EMS official described to me yesterday, we do not really know the outcome yet. The reports of the low & high areas, have not been published yet and definitely as educators we need to know the weaknesses and strengths of our graduates.

Again, something I would not gamble with for my license.. similar to my RN. I thought was a joke of a test, but would not do it again.

I agree FP-C would be great, but unrealistic. I know of many RT's, Paramedics and CCRN's that failed that test and actually is not realistic for those that do not perform SCT's or CCT's. Really not sure understanding IABP alarms and pressure limits is relevant if one is never going to be exposed or see one in a career. I know I was surprised when I passed mine, I thought it was more difficult than majority of medical cert tests (including CCRN)

R/r 911

good post...I need to clarify the ceu requirements as I have always had well above 72 in the two years and never been audited. I will also agree that the FP-C is the most difficult cert test I have taken, and there is no good way to prepare other than experience and exposure to the CCT process....maybe luck. :wink:

I think we agree that the test should be an available way to recertify, although should not be the only way to recertify...Just another option.

• 4 weeks later...

Golly, my first 18 years as a medic we took state written boards every three years. A few years before we stopped that we also had to take the practical for recert. Thank God we stopped that tom-foolery.

QA/QI programs should be used by employers to hone skills.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.