ABC News says we are ambulance drivers.

jobberman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since all levels of EMS (EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, EMT-Paramedic) all contain the common title "Emergency Medical Technician", it's logical to refer to them as EMT's. Only those who are suffering from an over inflated ego MUST be labeled by distinction.

Even your college courses are broken down in this fashion, so it stands to reason that the National Registry will also use the 'lump grouping'.

Actually, many states do not utilise the National Registry, nor their terminology.

Also, many states do not have "EMT" in their Paramedic title.

As well, not all Paramedics start off as EMTs.

I'm more insulted by being called an EMT than an "ambulance driver". At least people know what "ambulance driver" means. Very few have any idea what EMT stands for or means. Only those with an overinflated ego actually believe that their "EMT" title is so universally important that the general public should know what it means.

Actually, many states do not utilise the National Registry, nor their terminology.

I'm more insulted by being called an EMT than an "ambulance driver". At least people know what "ambulance driver" means. Very few have any idea what EMT stands for or means. Only those with an overinflated ego actually believe that their "EMT" title is so universally important that the general public should know what it means.

As far as the state of Michigan is concerned (the only state I've been licensed in), ALL titles in EMS (regarless of level) are preceeded by "Emergency Medical Technician"

Again, based on Michigan standards, and the other states that I've inquired with, the common course of progression (I have yet to find any variances), is to start with Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, and then progress to Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic.

Even the colleges I've checked into, require at least a successful completion of the EMT-B course prior to enrollment to the Paramedic program.

I get called a 911 operator. Should that bother me?

I do more then transfer 911 calls. I talk on the radio, I communicate with units... I maintain NCIC records, I maintain warrants. I do many other duties that no one would ever consider a "911 operator" to do.

I wouldn't ever tage offense to it. It is petty. If you've never drove the ambulance, and you are legally and by policy, able to do so, raise your hand? *waits*

This is the thing nobody seems to get…. As long as we get insulted by each other, how can we EVER expect to get respect from Doctors, Nurses, or for that matter the public?

WE’VE GOT TO STOP EATING OUR YOUNG!

EMT, PARAMEDIC, EMT-I who cares, as long as we remain un-united, we will be ambulance drivers, or whatever term lowers your ego…

If I do a transport with 5 drips, vent, and IABP, show the ICU nurses how to hook up the patient, as well as give a complete history, and the ICU Doc still will only talk to the nurse, as what does an ambulance driver know that could be of use to a cardiologist…

PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE’RE AMBULANCE DRIVERS…

How many people do you know that are firefighter / EMS and refer to themselves only as firefighters? That’s because the public UNDERSTANDS what a fire fighter is, EMT / Paramedic / EMT – CC / EMT – I / CFR it’s a moving target.

In NYC you have the Finest (PD), the bravest (FD), the strongest (Sanitation), the Boldest (corrections), who is EMS… No one knows.

Personally I think we should all drop this bickering and call ourselves Medics, educate the public that we are HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS and the rest will fall in line.

As Always IMHO

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

In NYC you have the Finest (PD), the bravest (FD), the strongest (Sanitation), the Boldest (corrections), who is EMS… No one knows.

Personally, I've always been rooting to call EMS America's Smartest.

‘para’ means two

Timmy, in what sense does "para" mean "two"? Not trusting my memory to be exhaustive, I looked it up, and still couldn't find that sense of "para," unless you meant that it sounds like "pair o' medics." (Sincere question; I'm looking to learn.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.