ABC News says we are ambulance drivers.

jobberman

On tonights ABC World News Tonight, Charlie Gibson refered to us AMBULANCE DRIVERS. I really enjoy his broadcast but this really chap'd my butt. Got so mad that I even sent an email to the news broadcast. If you want to do the same you can send it here...

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3271346...harles%20Gibson

It may be nothing to some of you, but it truly is the only time I feel degraded as an EMT/Firefighter is when I am called that. My two cents.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I was going to post the following, and depending on how the comments comes out I still might just. I don't think that airing the industries dirty laundry is always a good thing, but sometimes it is just the only way to instigate change.

"Look, if the people in our profession can't even use the correct terms to describe it's members (most states and the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians use the term Emergency Medical Technician as a base title for everyone, from basic to paramedic), how can you expect a news program to know the difference.

There are two major facts to be considered. First, someone HAS to drive the ambulance. Who do you think drives the ambulance in systems that utilize dual paramedics instead of a basic/paramedic setup (I wonder how many people unfamiliar with EMS are popping 2 aspirins right now after reading that question)?

Second, until we become a true profession which requires a college education and move past the 120 hour first aid course known as the EMT-Basic curriculum and the 9 month paramedic curriculum (to, say, a 2 year college degree as a minimum), EMS will never have the respect it deserves inside the medical field to even consider attempting to educate the public, much less yell at them for a simple mistake. We need to clean our own house before we decide to take it to the street. "

As we discussed in the chat Jobberman this is an slap in the face to all US EMS professionals that do more than DRIVE A AMBULACE. Thanks for posting this its a good topic might get alot of good discussion....

Terr

Ever since my very first EMT class it has always been a pet peeve of mine, being called "ambulance drivers". We're not in the days of using a hearse one day for a funeral and the next day using as a way to get someone to the hospital with no treatment, drive and fly. We are trained professionals, whether Basic or Paramedics, whether volunteer or full-time paid.

I don't want to get started. So I'll stop for now.

... someone HAS to drive the ambulance. Who do you think drives the ambulance in systems that utilize dual paramedics instead of a basic/paramedic setup (I wonder how many people unfamiliar with EMS are popping 2 aspirins right now after reading that question)?

I agree with everything else you posted except this. Yes. One of us has to drive the ambulance. That's a given. But please consider the following:

What do you call the guy who drives the fire engine? Do you call him a fire engine driver?

What do you call the guy who drives the police car? Do you call him a police car driver?

No! You call him/her a firefighter or a police officer.

So why are we "ambulance drivers" and not EMTs or paramedics?

Just food for thought.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.