HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

Hi i am 18 years old and still in highschool and scared to death about starting the emt-b class...I love every min of ems...i am on our local rescue squad and love every time we go out...I have been ridding with our local ems for almost 2 years and i am now at the age to take the class...I have learned alot but i am afraid that what i have learned may hurt me in some ways... :shock: I am ADHD and have a hard time staying focused but i think that since this is something that i rtuley want may be it will help...The question is should i start the class or wait till i am out of highschool...Another thing that i have ran into is i have to be 21 to drive and i will not be 19 when i finish the class so any suggestions???

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start the class. EMT-B is just a slightly advanced first aid course. When finished with it and high school immediately go to paramedic school. Work on being a professional at all times including when posting here. Grammar and spelling are important parts of our job. You may need to make notes to remind you to focus on your studies. Please work hard, education is very important. Read other topics on this site for more ideas. Let us know if we can help.

I took the EMT-B class in high school and I am not a very focused person, in fact I think I have the attention span of a two year old sometimes. I think you will be fine, but you will have to STUDY. If you have meds for ADHD, take them. Watch what you eat, get lots of sleep, and let your energy out at the gym; believe me it helps.

Don't let what you already know make you too laid back and think you know it already. If you ride with a rescue squad already you have some great resources at your fingertips. You co-workers can be great to help you study, since they have been through this once ( but please pick competent ones) . If nothing else you can make index cards with question/answers on them and have them quiz you during down time.

Read your textbook, BEFORE you go to lecture. This way you won't be seeing the information for the first time. You should read the information the night before, make some notes and come up with any questions you have or things you don't quite understand. Listen to lecture, take more notes and ask questions if needed, and then skim over the chapter again after you have heard the lecture. This is really helpful.

my advice to you is to complete you emt basic and then sit down with a person from you local paramedic school or as it is here in oregon a person at one of the local comm college's. they tell you what you need to go on tp paramedic. but also know that you need to be ready in other ways then just I have meoney to pay for paramedic now.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. I have chose to go ahead and begin the class. I know that this is what to do and with this i am going to do everything in my power to pass the class at the best of my ability. Agin thank you to everyone that commented!

I was actually able to take my EMT class during the summer between my Jr. and Sr. years of high school. I think if I had taken it during the school year it might have been more challenging. More power to ya, keep it up, stay focused, and all that jazz. Have any questions, just ask.

I recommend that, in order to get the maximum benefit from EMT school, all students have college Anatomy & Physiology, and at least a self-study proficiency in medical terminology, before taking an EMT course. It makes a HUGE difference in how much and how well you learn from the course. Go big or go home.

Good luck.

I disagree with the first reply. I do agree that you should take full advantage of the EMT program while you are in High School. I do not agree with going straight to Paramedic School. If you have any opportunity to work or volunteer as an EMT do that. I have 3+ years experience as a basic and that has significantly helped me in medic school. The people in my class that do you have road experience constantly suffer and blame the fact that they are falling behind or don't understand something on their lack of field experience. They make us feel like it is our fault for having knowledge that they don't.

I disagree with the first reply. I do agree that you should take full advantage of the EMT program while you are in High School. I do not agree with going straight to Paramedic School. If you have any opportunity to work or volunteer as an EMT do that.

You'll find that most truly experienced professionals and professional educators will disagree with you completely on all three of those points. After more experience, education, and maturity, you will probably reconsider this advice. But for now, sounds like you're just going on old-skool conventional wisdom that is seriously outdated.