Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

No formal code here, but we have a good relationship with all the patrol officers. (small county, first name basis with all of them) If I got on the radio and said I need help they would be there as fast as practical, without being told by dispatch to respond, they would just hear it and respond.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use "10-33" and "10-34"...for PD that is. Like others have said, we use Motorolo SmartNet 2 800MHz trunked system, MTS2000 and XTS5000 that both have the "RED" emergency button.

"10-33"...emergency traffic...only units on the emergency call can use the radio...of course, dispatch can talk.

"10-34"...officer down, critical emergency, officer shot, officer being assaulted...etc.

Of course...the 'classic'..."Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!"

In Atlantic City, "99" would get you everything. PD, EMS, and FD. I used that once while a pt went bananas on me, and bystanders jumped in. They helped me, but at the moment, I was as scared as a little girl, and didn't know what was going on.

Everytime else was "MedCom 1417 needs ACPD on location forthwith for a hostile subject. Forthwith was emphisized. That usually got their lazy dispatcher attention.

We have law enforcement on about 99% of our calls. For the calls where we don't, dispatch does a status check after 10 minutes. If we don't respond to the status check or if we say a certain phrase (similar to "Yes, we are fine" but not "Yes, we are fine") law enforcement shows up. It isn't a perfect system, but it works.

That last sounds kind of what I was told for NYC Corrections Officers operating at the Rikers Island Prisons. If any Officer should use the term "Guard" on the radio referring to themselves, as they officially despise the word, it is a disguised request for immediate help, Stat and Forthwith!

In KY, most services are dispatched via state police post, but there are a few that aren't. However, if they know we are headed to a 'rough' area, they automatically send PD with us. Once we get on scene,

code 12 - everything's okay - you better say that or someone start's coming to look for you

we also have the pretty red button and ours does link directly to dispatch. Hit that and you get your sup, another crew and every available trooper in the area. You hit that and you better have a good reason. If accidentally hit, immediately state your unit number and code 12 !

As far as if I need help now, I'm pressing that button and waiting for the pretty blue lights to show up ! Also, I'll be yelling something to dispatch along the lines of COP NOW ! I've only been in that situation once and that was what I told them when I hit the button. Had a guy aiming a shotgun at me and my partner - not cool. I'm going home at the end of each shift and so is he ! I seemed to get their attention quite nicely when I said, "COP NOW !"

Anything else for minor stuff, just pick up the phone and call dispatch to request pd to be at the scene or for truck breakdown. No big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
I seem to recall something about "Signal Zero" but havent heard anyone mention it. I think its a bit antiquated but isnt/wasnt it a distress transmission?
Signal Zero is a police code, as far as I know (though very possibly adopted by EMS). There is a book with that title about a liberal Berkeley professor who takes up an offer to go through police academy and become a cop (discussion on cop personality type being created by the job or there before the job).

I am unsure on this, but I think I read the "Reader's Digest" version of that professor's book.

On the scene of one incident, he tried reason, and, due to a perceived attitude from the suspect, nearly hit the "alleged perpetrator", before he regained his composure. Only thing I remember from the condensation, other than it's being out there, somewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.