Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the reason of "so the public won't know what we're talking about" really never held water, for the reason stated. I was taught the reason for the codes was to minimize the time on the radio air, due to the number of mobiles and portables growing larger, and sharing the airwaves, for the most information being given in the shortest time to the largest number of radios, going both dispatch to units and units to dispatch.

If staying on "company frequency", as mentioned somewhere (not searching, lazy today) either on this or another string, as long as everyone within the company uses the same code, no problem. The problems will happen when we go multiple agency, either type or specialty of agency, as nobody "speaking the same language". Proof is, I think I was the one mentioned the 10-13 is used in weather report requests in some locations, and a LEO emergency request for backup/assistance in others.

If a cop is asking for a weather report, perhaps he is asking wind speed to allow for SWAT sniper fire accuracy (it could happen, right?).

Over here we have 2 formal and I guess 1 'informal' way of calling an 'officer needs help'

One is "10-34"

10-34 = OFFICER needs HELP (extreme emergencies only)

the other is to push the red button on their motorola radios

dispatch will immediately be notified as soon as the red button is pressed.

informal way? probably just yell "Ive been shot Ive been shot" into the mic.

code red G - immediate danger to all on scene gun involved

code red K - " " " " " " knife "

code yellow - verbal threats and escalation of tension on scene, send help immediately

code green - need LE on scene, no immediate danger, usually used for drunks, druggies, and mentally challenged

Another reason for the 10 codes and others to disappear. Simple English is the best.

exactly. we only use a few here like the "obvious" ones

10-4 10-9 10-8 10-7 10-33

we also use a few "signals" for calls that cant be relayed over the radio (aka Rape)

I'm sure "help", "mayday" or "holy sh*t I in trouble" would get the idea out there

10-this....10-that.....I thought everyone except the FDNY and other large metro areas dropped the 10 code langauge. I understood the whole idea of everyone using plain language I could theoreticly come to your area for a large incident and understand common english instead of 150 10-codes being used. I'm with the guy above...You go violating FCC rules and pitch a few 4-letters around, If the dispatchers don't hear you I garantee if I'm in a medic unit on the air, you'll have my attention.....623

We, too, have the pretty red buttons to push, and a ridiculously complex 'safe phrase' that has to be repeated to the letter in order to call off the cavalry.

BeorP brought up the 10-2000...have had to use that twice in 10 years....you should SEE what comes out of the woodwork when that comes over the radio!!!

Looove the little red button...have yet to see if it works in a real emergency though.

Brat :angel8:

ps. can someone call a code green for me? no really, it's for me.....

Ah, "Code" phrases (ex code blue) are another lovely little area of piece meal that hospital organizations are trying to standardize. Code Green was a request for security at both a local psych hospital as well as at the hospital that I used to volunteer at (before it was changed for standardization).

I'm sure "help", "mayday" or "holy sh*t I in trouble" would get the idea out there
No actually...that's what lead me to post this :-/ Unless they have LE experience, I doubt most recognize a distressed radio transmission when they hear one and if they do they might tend to think the crew screwed up something rather than needs immediate help now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.