Making a Difference: History of Modern EMS

Kiwiology

Not sure if all of you have seen this but it is was originally a book and DVD released by the late, great James O. Page (founder of JEMS and former Captain of the first LAFD Paramedic unit).

I came across the video on YouTube (watch it here) but have also got the expanded DVD edition which can be ordered from Amazon.com here

'Tis an absolute must watch and is really interesting to see where we have come from.

Hope it's of use.

I am sure it is not as interesting to some as it is to us whom were part of the history of EMS. It does bring back much nostalgia of seeing equipment, people, ideas and thoughts that some of us (Dust, Richard, and others) had at the time.

Although there are a few inaccuracies in the time lines, I hope those that view it realize the desire and dedication that was made to make things better today. No, we were not martyrs but I have to say there was many that made many sacrifices to make things as good as they are (even though it is not all great), just think how bad it would be without them.

Carrying 60 pound monitors, arguing with LPN's in the ER that you can actually establish an IV and yes, even read EKG's. Fighting with staff members that oxygen is really the first treatment of choice over Lidocaine, and yes even ambulance drivers can actually take ACLS and pass, then later teach it.

Yes, we definitely have a long way to go, but definitely better in many ways than it was before. I do wish we would those that have the dedication and visionary that we had seen in some of the earlier pioneers. Many pursue this as alternative job (after failing fries or awaiting for a FD position), rather than a potential career and profession, which harms the future.

R/r 911

Good film have viewed this a few times.....Good film to show the new EMT's and Medic's because a good portion know not whence they came.....623

I just ordered it along with the book, as well as the book "Omaha Orange". I've got plenty of reading time on my hands these days. Might as well see what everybody else is saying about the history.

I'm a young guy with only 2 and a half years on the streets and I always have appreciated the history of EMS. I work with several partners that have been doing this for longer than I've been on earth and its truly a pleasure learning from them.

One thing that stuck out is when one of the interviewees stated that the fire service has no problems manning and operating EMS units, instead its a philosophical indifference that has been going on for decades. Many EMS providers in the fire service are more concerned with fighting fires than providing fully knowledgeable medical care. Oh well, that topic is something that has been discussed endlessly on this forum, and I don't think I have anything new to contribute to that discussion.

Thanks for sharing this link. Happy New Year all!!!

Great post!!

I too have always had a great interest in the past as well as the future of EMS.

It would be great to hear some stories from you [s:034b67b1c2]oldtimers[/s:034b67b1c2] Pioneers of the buisness about "The way things were"

It would be interesting to hear how the scope of practice has progressed in relationship to education, as well as some "war stories" :lol:

I just ordered it along with the book, as well as the book "Omaha Orange". I've got plenty of reading time on my hands these days. Might as well see what everybody else is saying about the history.

Carl Post wrote an excellent book, while I had trouble staying interested, it's good for history of the advanced life support side of EMS. I've found amazon to be an invaluable tool in finding EMS history books. My favorites, however, are the picture books w/ visual time line of ambulances and funeral coaches.

Dont forget the book "Shock Trauma" or "The Knife and Gun Club".

As far as pioneers, I prefere to look up to the likes of R Adams Cowley, Peter Safar, and Dr. Copass for not compromising on a vision for better EMS medical care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.