State of Oregon EMS

vcfd35s

I may be making the move up north from Southern California to Oregon. Does anyone know how the ems system is run up there? Can you actually provide for a family as a paramedic? Does fire run there own transports, or is it a private ambulance company such as AMR? And if its a private company, how respected is that company with the fire department and the people it serves? Just getting an idea of what I might be getting myself and my family into. I currently work in Southern California with a 911 Ambulance company that is contracted with the County Fire Department. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

I may be making the move up north from Southern California to Oregon. Does anyone know how the ems system is run up there? Can you actually provide for a family as a paramedic? Does fire run there own transports, or is it a private ambulance company such as AMR? And if its a private company, how respected is that company with the fire department and the people it serves? Just getting an idea of what I might be getting myself and my family into. I currently work in Southern California with a 911 Ambulance company that is contracted with the County Fire Department. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Fookin' Californian's moving to Oregon...you're gonna ruin it for the rest of us. [-X

First off, just remember that it's pronounced Origun, not Or-E-gone, there is such a thing as good beer on tap here, and you're definitely going to need to update your wardrobe.

Aside from the state setting certification levels, educational requirements, and the scope, there is no real statewide EMS system for transports; each area does there own thing, so you've got private, hospital based, third service, and fire based.

Depending on where you work you can easily provide for a family as a paramedic. Let me say it again, DEPENDING on WHERE you work, you can easily provide for a family as a paramedic.

This isn't southern california sonny, it's a big state, and a lot is rural, so there's lot's of fire departments that transport, and lot's that don't. Same goes with how fire departments feel about privates, and privates about fire.

Thing to keep in mind is that if you became a medic after 1999, then you will NOT be able to work as a paramedic in Oregon without getting an Associate's Degree in Paramedicine. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml Which is as it should be. Like I said, Oregon is pretty big and has almost every type of transport out there, and almost every type of pay too. It's going to depend on what you are looking for, and if you have a specific part of Oregon that you're looking at moving to.

• 1 month later...
Thing to keep in mind is that if you became a medic after 1999, then you will NOT be able to work as a paramedic in Oregon without getting an Associate's Degree in Paramedicine. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml

I recently completed a one year Paramedicine certificate program in Washington state and now I'm going through the process of getting licenced in Oregon.

Once you're NREMT-P'd, Oregon will accept an Associate's degree in something other than Paramedicine.

Mine is in Respiratory Therapy. I know of others that have used Arts or Education degrees. I think the point that Oregon is making is to set the Associate's level as the baseline standard of education whether it be EMS, social studies, math etc.

Just 2 cents worth :wink:

Tell me you're kidding?! *REALLY*?

WOW.....

wendy

CO EMT-B

You have received all the correct answers. Hopefully, you already have a degree to assist with your transfer.

When I went through the process of getting my OR reciprocity, I called the lady and asked what was needed. After informing me of the degree requirements, she then asked when I became a National Registry Paramedic.

When I told her, she said "Oh never mind about the degree, you are grandfathered"...LOL

Sheesh, at least let me pretend and show you my degree, I worked hard for it! Don't grandfather me, check it out..please. But to no avail, I was grandfathered and admitted to the OR paramedic club.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.