I need help paying for school!!!

jclay

Ok so I have already been through medic school once about 2 years ago. I took the test 5 times and failed them all, twice by 1 questions. Yes total bummer. I'm 23 years old. Well now I'm trying to go to school again at Parma Community Health Education Center but it's $3200 and to get a loan they want me to pay $280/month while I'm in school and that's just not possible because I own a house, live on my own and can barely feed myself as it is. Does anyone know what I can do?? This is my dream and I need to get it done. I just got a job at Parma hospital but they wont help with school until after 6 months. My plan is to go through medic school then transfer to the ER as a medic and then go to nursing school in Jan of '09. Please if anyone knows a way to help me please do so! Thank you

Why not go straight to nursing school?

Can you get financial aid (state and federal/FAFSA) by taking it a community college? You might consider getting a job elsewhere that pays more and saving up that way. Or even moving to a different area? Renting a room in your house out?

Also, what happened that caused you to fail the test five times?

AnthonyM84, that is great advice. There are several nursing scholarships, financial aid, federally subsidized low interest loans, and the military to look at. In addition, some of the programs allow you to test out for your LPN half way through your course. I was able to do this as a nursing student and work for about $18.00 an hour in a nursing home for a year. Much better than the $5.00 an hour I was making as an EMT prior to my LPN job.

Take care,

chbare.

I agree, just go straight to nursing school. In my area if you've failed school you're less apt to be able to recieve any aid for that same course.

Join the military, they have awesome benefits for school.

The exact two points I would have made myself.

Paramedic school is a complete and total pipedream waste of time for you. You are going nowhere because you have no focus, which is probably why you failed paramedic school the first time around. Why would anybody want to pay for your paramedic school when a nurse is what you really want to be? Why would you yourself want to waste that time and money for a school that is of zero benefit to you? If you are going to be a nurse, you have already gotten all the benefit out of paramedic school you need, which is the acute care knowledge. Now move forward instead of spinning your wheels like this. It's just stupid.

If you aren't ready to give one-hundred percent to either one of those professions, then you aren't ready to join either profession. Pick one as if it were the one thing you were going to do for the rest of your life, then go for it.

If, by some unfortunate chance, you are completely unable to muster the maturity and professional focus to devote to a single career, then join the military. There you can play around, learn a lot, get some experience that will help you focus, and come out a few years later with the rest of your college days 100 percent paid for. You can't beat it.

You did not fail the test by one question. Percentage point perhaps, but not question. Another medic class is not the answer. Enroll in a nursing program and forget you ever thought about becoming a paramedic.

We have enough people doing this as a "hobby" already. We don't need another one passing through.

ok so he/she owsns a house at 23. Just got a job at a local hospital. Does anyone else see anything wierd about this?

Can't get a loan because they expect him to pay 280 per month yet he/she owns a house?

I see a lot wrong with this....... JCLAY care to explain how at 23 you own a house yet cannot afford to pay for school. Have you ever thought of using the equity in your home to fund your schooling. Or are you on one of those interest only loans?