38 members have voted

1. 1.

• Have Medical/Telemetry control, prefer having it as a safety backup
    • Have Medical/Telemetry control, want to trade them in for new crew
    • Have Medical/Telemetry control, my agency doesn't need them
    • No Medical/Telemetry control, like it that way
    • No Medical/Telemetry control, want some started by my agency
    • What is Medical/Telemetry control?

A non-United States member of the EMT City board questioned me on living under Medical Control or Telemetry Control "Rule", saying that the service the member was with, had what I may be incorrect in describing as "Free Reign" on protocols and practices.

Hence, my question and poll:

Do you:

1) Have Medical/Telemetry control, wouldn't have it any other way

2) Have Medical/Telemetry control, want to trade them in

3) No Medical/Telemetry control, like it that way

4) No Medical/Telemetry control, want some

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do mean telemetry as in transmission of vital info like vitals and 12 leads right?

If so, I cant wait til we get that end functioning. The bus is a volotile environment where tunnel vision can interfere with even the most seasoned veterans judgemnet, whereas the ER has a moderately controlled environment in which they can interpret and see things we cannot in the field, not to mention at times there may even be a cardiologist present to also confer on the strip.

I like the idea of having someone at the other end of the radio to ask for advise on hairy calls. At the same time, the vast majority or the calls I would love not having to ask for permission for some things. My protocols are pretty open, but there are still some things that I wish that I could just do and tell the er later!

I have never worked under Medical Control. All procedures and drug administrations are my/crew decisions. I am sure this is how most of Europe operates, (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am able to seek advice from "higher up" if I feel the need but over the past 25 years I can count on 1 hand the times I have done this.

I can see advantages to a Medical Control system, mainly on the accountability side of things but knowing that you have made the decisions on the care and treatment of a patient gives great job satisfaction.

I am an EMT who works as a BLS first responder and don't have online medical control, the protocols all basically tell me to call a medic for any beyond basic emt skills. We have to call a paramedic level rig for all transports (we keep one on the property at all times) I would like to have online medical control but I am not sure it would matter in the long run due to all transports are ALS.

I haven't used medical telemetry except for a few months in the late '70's to receive a medical grant for equipment. Now I do consult with medical control occasionally if there is a difficult or peculiar case. We work on strictly standing protocols, with a very few exceptions.

Be safe,

RIdryder911

I haven't used medical telemetry except for a few months in the late '70's to receive a medical grant for equipment. Now I do consult with medical control occasionally if there is a difficult or peculiar case. We work on strictly standing protocols, with a very few exceptions.

Be safe,

RIdryder911

what he said !!

Paul

Be safe,

RIdryder91

:D I agree totally

A reminder: Under local protocols, which vary by country, state, Provence, county or town, ambulance crews either have to get permission to do anything, or can do a lot of stuff, either without having to call it in, or before they have to call it in.

Just be sure of what is required of you, where you work, under those local protocols

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.