Ever Had a Fat Patient Break Your Back?

EMS Solutions

Have you ever had a fat patient break your back?  

34 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No, I know my limitations
    • Yes, but I dropped them before it broke

I really have to say thank you to the most of you who have been respectful about your overweight / obese PT's when talking about how you handled them. :lol: I used to be a big girl, but have worked hard to take it off, and keep it off. Its a shameful world to be in, and any amount of dignity and respect is always much appreciated by them. Knowing where I used to be, I will always treat them with respect and dignity. Part of me will always be a fat chick, and that fear of going back is always there. But there is no reason to be mean, or hurtful, or to call them names. :lol:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have to say thank you to the most of you who have been respectful about your overweight / obese PT's when talking about how you handled them. :D I used to be a big girl, but have worked hard to take it off, and keep it off. Its a shameful world to be in, and any amount of dignity and respect is always much appreciated by them. Knowing where I used to be, I will always treat them with respect and dignity. Part of me will always be a fat chick, and that fear of going back is always there. But there is no reason to be mean, or hurtful, or to call them names. :)

Lisa, we don't disrespect our pts. We don't know all the circumstances behind the illness.

Plus, its grossly unprofessional.

Yes, compression fx of T-7. But the patient wasn't fat. What is was, we were lifting a wheelchair patient chair and all into back of the rig. When the front wheels got caught on the lock-down bar I pulled it toward me. When I did the chair didn't move and my back buckled. And of course, we've all done it so I kept working and finished my 24 hr. (actually turned out to be 32 hr. shift). I was in agony, couldn't breath, etc. When I did finally get to the doc he showed me the x-ray and pointed it out to me. He asked me what did I see. I just said that it looks screwed up, and he added the usual bawling out for keeping on going. Put me flat in a La-Z-boy for seven weeks. That was almost 25 yrs. ago and for a long time that was the part of my back that gave me the least problems. But I'm paying for it now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.