Thanks everyone..

I've been on the boards for a while just reading all of the topics and gaining information. Needless to say that I have benefited greatly from all of the topics that have been discussed. I just wanted to take some time and thank you guys for this website and the great people that post here. I took the final for my basic class today and found out that I passed with an 85%. Better yet, only 9 of 35 people actually passed the final. I felt like this website played a big part in that! So thanks again for all you guys do.

Wish me luck on the state (NC) and NR exams!

Justin

Congratulations, Bro! Great job!

It has been obvious from your first few posts here that you possess the potential for greatness. The great majority of n00bs come here, post one question asking for us to spoon feed them thirty five years worth of wisdom real quick, and then disappear without ever bothering to read the volumes of awesome information that is already available here. You were different.

When we educate paramedics, we tell them that they cannot merely be the eyes and hands of the physician. They have to be independant and intelligently functioning practitioners who assess the patient, formulate a diagnostic theory, and come up with a treatment plan on their own. And if they need to call for a physician consult, they need to have all of that information to give the physician. Simply calling up the ER and saying, "here's what I see. What should I do?" is unacceptable, and you will get no respect or confidence from a physician that way.

When you came here with your first post, you presented exactly what we spend two years trying to educate a paramedic to do. You told us exactly what your assessment of your future was, and exactly how you planned to approach it, and humbly asked for any helpful input we might offer. That was awesome! If you continue to confront all of your professional challenges in that intelligent and mature manner, you're going to be one of the best.

Congratulations again, and best of luck!

Dust, I appreciate the ecnouragement and the quick reply. Coming from someone like you who is obviously a well respected Medic as well as a storehouse of relevant information, it means alot. I will be starting into my intermediate/medic level classes in the spring. My classes in January consist of

-Advanced Airway Management

-Pharmacology I

-Intermediate Intervention

-Clinicals

Needless to say I am very excited. Thanks again for your help!

If you respect my advice, you'll postpone those classes until you have some college prerequisites under your belt. You will get twice as much knowledge and understanding out of those classes if you have already taken A&P and other relevant courses first. Wouldn't you want to get the maximum benefit from those classes, and not just a patch?

And, if at all possible, blow off Intermediate half-steps altogether and just go to paramedic school. Intermediate is lame, and dying a gradual death in the U.S., thank God.

Good luck!

Dust, I totally agree with your advice.....Which is why I have followed it! I attended a four year university last year and got my english and math prerequisites done. In addition, this semester (along with EMT-:D I took A&P. I'm in an associates degree program, so as far as next semester goes, I don't have much choice as to what classes I take in the EMS curriculum. But I agree, A&P was the most beneficial class I have taken. You can't be a great medic unless you understand WHY you are treating a patients condition, that's where A&P helps!

Justin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.