You've Got to be Kidding

AZCEP

ok, so yeah I was definitely joking with all that I said.

It was a play on how right after 9/11, any criticism of new rules or policies would be met with patriotic "If we don't, the terrorists win" and "Why do you hate America?" type statements.

Why I oughta.... :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This crap is part of the reason I homeschool.

Don't take this as a comment on your kids, but the homeschool kids were looked at as a little weird when I was growing up. Looking at the school system now, I'd be ok with my kids being looked at as a little weird.

I *was* a homeschool kid. We *are* weird, especially when we first enter the real world and have to try to figure out social cues. :P

The parents have relinquished control of their children to the "experts in child education"... think about all the parents you know who don't participate in the PTA or even vote in the elections that put school officials in power (at the higher level). Ask any average parent what their kid's teachers' names are, and I'll bet they can't name 50% of them. Yes, the school systems suck.. but they are enabled by ignorant parents who just accept that "that's who's in charge at the school and that's how the rules are."

I know parents are busy. But it's a lot less time consuming-- and much less costly than challenging the juvenile courts system and finding a new school for your kid a year or so after it all clears up-- to challenge the system BEFORE this shite happens.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This whole story just bleeds stupidity. I understand why they have a zero tolerance policy, but come on. Schools today are not the schools that most of us grew up in (I graduated HS in 1993). I think the girl should have been disciplined, but to arrest her and charge her with a felony??? To bring a steak knife to school in today's world is just plain stupid. Even a 10y/o should have a clue when it comes to things like that.

I think the girl should have been disciplined, but to arrest her and charge her with a felony??? To bring a steak knife to school in today's world is just plain stupid. Even a 10y/o should have a clue when it comes to things like that.

What happens to the parent/responsible adult, who allowed the girl to bring that to school? or who packed it in her lunch box? Shouldn't this parent share a little bit of the punishment too or get at least some blame on this?

Both the parent and the girl should've known better.

Here is how I feel about it. Rules to not carry knives to school are good for safety. I agree, ten year olds might not be the best people to let use knives unsupervised. children don't always think about their actions (as do certain adults too!). Ten year olds would be likely to do things like say run with sharp objects, maybe slash the knife around playing like a swordsman, or other various unsafe activities. But I think the rule should not be absolute. Let me explain. If the girl was actually responsible with the knife, used it for food, and never created a problem, she should just be warned not to bring it, contact the parents and discuss school policy, and drop it.

Also when are they going to require bulky pens and poncils so that its hard for kids to stab other kids with the sharp objects???

Ten year old charged with a felony, yet superstars can get away with so much............ neither makes sense............. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you how much has changed since I was in school. My senior year we had to do a demonstration speech for English IV. I took an M-1 .30 carbine to school and demonstrated how to tear it down, clean it, and reassemble it. It was not a problem. I even had a full clip in the gun case with me.

Now, if that was attempted, I don't know what they would do to you. Probably bury you under the school. It was nothing for almost anyone to have a big buck knife in a pouch on your belt and not a thing was thought about it. I do agree on a ban on potential weapons, but let's not give way to good old common sense. Zero Tolerance is probably the best option to enforce the bans. It might seem like going over board, but it is something necessary in today's society.

Weyland, back when you were in High School, per the year of graduation on your web page, the schools probably still had classes in firearms handling and safety, probably in good relations with the National Rifle Association.

Obviously, I am in a different state than you, different rules and regulations. From when my elder brother was still in Brooklyn Technical High School, in the mid 1960s, I don't think they taught that, at least within New York City.

But then, again, one of my lieutenants mentioned she had taken a High School course on firearms handling, in one of the nearby counties to New York City, taught by the father of the actors, the Baldwin brothers. She is at least 20 years my junior, as you also must be.

So, per the statement of demonstrating how to tear down, clean, and reassemble an M-1 .30 carbine in a school, think of it as "that was then, this is now", and "that was there, and this is here."

Yes, times have changed, and the jury is still out as to if it changed for the good, or the bad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.