Drugs on the National Registry?

I agree dust and wouldn't use this method on the truck. For testing purposes though, it gets you close and then pick the appropriate closest answer.

In real life, I much prefer the clock method for Dopamine rates.

It seems simple and flexible enough, though I , in know way believe I'm smart enough to figure out every possible angle.

200# pt.

200 – right hand 0 = 20

20 – 2 = 18gtts/min at standard concentration/drip set for 5 mcg/kg/min

So 3.5 gtts/min = 1mcg/kg/min (approx.), which makes the math easy for adjusting your dosage up or down in 1mcg/kg/min increments. Right?

It seems like an acceptable level or error considering the lack of accuracy inherent to manually set drip rates to begin with...(guestimated weight + non perfect drip rate + plus moving ambulance).

Understand, this is not meant to argue for this shortcut, but to show line of thought, in case I'm off in the ditch somewhere....

Jake, when I played with this, is seems that this gives you the same info as the clock, it's simply easier to remember, for me anyway. Do you not find this to be true?

Thoughts?

Dwayne

Dwayne, yes I do, but I like to double check and for some reason, it shouldn't be that easy. :cry:

The formula will get to a midpoint as Dustdevil suggests. From there we usually tritrate to effect as again, the rate will change according to how the patient responds.

For testing purposes though, it gets you close and then pick the appropriate closest answer.

For testing purposes, why not do the math and get a definitive answer instead of getting something close and guessing between two possible right answers?

Tricks and shortcuts work well on the street where we don't always have time to pull out the calculator and play with numbers. So long as we keep the limitations of such shortcuts in mind we're ok.

For testing purposes, however, close doesn't cut it. Get the right answer the first time and demonstrate you know it. Don't short cut and leave chance to a guess.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.