Ever have a piece of equipment break on you (when you needed

WANTYNU

Have you ever had a piece of equipment break on you?  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES
    • No
    • YES, but I was trying to break it...

Ever have a piece of equipment break on you (when you needed it most)?

conscious intubation on a decompensating APE. (talk about fun times).

Happy holidays,

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

WOW you guys intubate apes?? Did you go lights & sirens to the vet!! :lol::lol:

HA HA LMAO

I have no idea what APE stands for!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever have a piece of equipment break on you (when you needed it most)?

Stair chair collapses with patient (idiotic partner didn't know to push the bars at the feet sides down)...

I don't think the above statement counts unless you consider your partner a tool. :lol:

WOW you guys intubate apes?? Did you go lights & sirens to the vet!! :lol::lol:

HA HA LMAO

I have no idea what APE stands for!

It took me a bit to figure out a definition that worked, but I believe that it means acute pulmonary edema.

Hmm...well the other day I was doing my beginning of shift check of my unit and noticed that the lightbar didn't work at all. :shock:

Then another time I was in one of our older units and when I went to put my drink into the cup-holder the entire thing fell right through into the dash!!!

There have been other minor things such as the handle on the back of the stretcher that controls the head position getting stuck.

Patient has AED attached to them, CPR in progress. Depress "analyse" button, and the machine insists we should attach the electrodes to the patient, even after 4 tries.

Afterwards, even though it meant a lot of paperwork, my partner and I insisted the field supervisor respond to the hospital with a replacement AED, and the paperwork forms so we could write down the incident while fresh in our minds. The replacement AED was so the other one could be "bagged and tagged" back to our equipment repair, and, if needed, to the manufacturer.

We now, systemwide in FDNY EMS, use a different brand AED.

The patient was pronounced after working on him for 10 minutes in the ED.

As long as you don't say good enough for government work . :wink:
(That WOULD be scary!!!) :lol:

I do like the look of your product and would buy because you don't seem to be a snake oil salesman to me.
(Thank you, I think, besides, I can’t sell snake oil, I have no ice….) :lol:

As far as equipment breaking, just had radio fall apart. About to use some medical duct tape ( white duct tape ) to hold it together.
(Ya, that is good stuff, we call it hockey tape, cause its like the stuff you wrap the hockey blade with, basically tough as nails, {also does a great job on eyebrows, or so I’ve heard…) 8)

I've had other equipment break, but I've always been able to repair, improvise, or scream like a little girl in panic. Never lost a patient from failed equipment.
Improvising is our First, last and middle name, Notice the last answer in my poll? I did have a pager break once, seems it wasn’t made to withstand hitting a cinderblock wall at high velocity…. :roll: ;-)

Best

-W

Oh I forgot to mention the nasty super strength "paper" cut I got, cleaning the back of the bus, I ran my hand down the side of those new plexiglas cabinet doors, cut my finger and I didn’t even feel it, just saw the blood, sharper than a razor.... Can you say OUCH!!! :shock: :lol:

-W

PS OH COME ON, WHO DOESN'T KNOW APE stands for Acute Pulmonary Edema :?

Had a Lifepack twelve give a pulse ox reading on the truck antenna of 89%, so we put a NRB on the truck and it brought it up to 98%, :wink: jk about the nrb, but the pulse ox did read at 89 on the antenna.

had another lifepack at the same agency i was riding with on clinical break when we put it on a patient in hemorrhagic shock due to an abortion go bad. the sucker wouldn't do blood pressures or read in lead II. POS, we actually had to do a manual BP (OMG, thought I was gonna die, jk) But it was a good call that I got to run cuz I had to work around equipment failure and still treat the patient accordingly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.