Attacked?

Megan780

(Paramedics/EMTs only) Have you been attacked?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

I agree with the whole tone of voice and choice of wording when dealing with someone unstable. I have seen too many times the paramedic/emt trying to bully the psych into doing what they want them to, and of course it doesn't work. Again all my assualts have been from people that have been out of their minds, not knowing what they were doing at all. I had a diabetic headbutting the side window of the van he was riding in, and then the cot when he was laying on it, so when i got close (even though police were holding him down for me) to access his port, of course I got headbutted. Not his fault, totally mine. I wasn't focused on safety, rather on helping him.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should consider ourselves fortunate that is is not nearly as bad here as in other parts of the world. In the UK for example, it is an all too common problem, not helped by the pitiful sentences handed down to those that actually make it to court - "community service" for example.

I have no problems in involving PD if I even suspect some form of aggression heading my way, but Here is just one example of how assault / battery against EMS elsewhere is regarded as being of little significance.

Pathetic.

The question is really too broad. Physical attack can vary from spit on to having the hell beat out of you. Verbal attacks from direct in your face to quite behind back in a language they think you do not understand.

You will see the range. Some on purpose, some unaware of their actions.

But all in all most people are not going to attack you. I would put it other than verbal as a very very small percentage of your calls.

Can't emphasize the body language and tone of voice stuff enough. If you're frustrated with the patient, let them know that your tone of voice and body language are coming from your own stress, that it's not something that is directed negatively towards them. If they're with it at all it will help.

Acknowledge what's going on with them! I know that in my field, working with people who are developmentally disabled and who have a host of psychiatric conditions along with the DD, it can mean the difference between a shift from hell dodging blows and a calmer shift if you just acknowledge what they're experiencing.

"I can see that you're frustrated... if you'd like, I'm willing to listen to what's bothering you" "I can see that you are angry about what your roommate just did... would you like to talk about it?" "I can see that you're upset... could you tell me why? Maybe I can help!"

Too often I've seen staff go "Oh, you're exaggerating this. Stop it right now" and have their shift turn into a full blown physical and verbal power struggle. You know what? It seems like BS to you... but to your patient it doesn't. Same goes for psych patients in the back of the rig... pay attention to how your words and actions are affecting the situation. If things are getting worse, change something. If things are getting better, continue doing what you're doing.

Of course, you will *always* get the person that is hell bent on kicking your arse for whatever reason... that's what restraints are for. EMS is lucky... we get to physically restrain our folks with more than our hands... no such luck for the field I'm currently in! No chemical restraints, nothing more restrictive than a standing 2-person control hold which must be released after 15 minutes by LAW... even if they're still bent on getting you. Count your blessings that you have Kerlix! ;)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This all reminds me of a call a few weeks ago with an AMS (altered mental status we cannot use the word Psych in any way anymore) or

"Pharmaceutically Gifted" young male we attended. I am still convinced we (the crew) encountered a demon in human form. But with one of the FireMonkeys (6'4 300) 2 cops--average size (6'0 200) plus my self (6'2 220) we kept him at bay until we could get some vitamin H on board (a bunch---still don't know exactly how much the doc got on board)

Point is...body language and talking sometimes work--but sometimes a demonstration of how not to act like an ass is helpful.

See---cops are good for something else to include spotting Hazmat incidents for you!

I still like Crack-O-Sodes too.......

That's not fair about those two Glasgow medics! That's absolute BS! If those were two cops that got assaulted, they would be in jail for attemted murder or something close.

I guess I should have been more specific. I meant have you ever been kicked, hit, ect... Not a full blown attack. But yeah, attacks included. I think I got my answer though. All but maybe two have been physically assaulted. That really angers me about Glasgow.

When I'm a paramedic, I'm not gonna take any of that. I used to think that violence to stop violence was petty. My mentality has changed so much, and I don't have any control over it. I now think that anyone who assaults me or one of my friends; I'll take their head off. I never used to think like that up until a few months ago. Now I realize it's neccisary.

Punched by a drunk because I tried to fasten the seat belt on him.

Kicked in the stomach by a cuffed prisoner, she had an ingested mix of ETOH, unspecified recreational pharmaceuticals, and pepper spray to the eyes, on board, and was simply not happy to have been placed "under", or brought to the ED.

That's not fair about those two Glasgow medics! That's absolute BS! If those were two cops that got assaulted, they would be in jail for attemted murder or something close... That really angers me about Glasgow.

Sadly you could name most UK towns and a google search would bring up a similar story. It is by no means limited to the Glasgow area.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-...91466-20184400/

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/respect-...tion.1547113.jp

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/Par...ient.3406855.jp

http://www.secamb.nhs.uk/latest-news/july-...medic-assaulted

http://www.lep.co.uk/manchesternews/Viciou...crew.3435908.jp

etc, etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.