Attacked?

Megan780

(Paramedics/EMTs only) Have you been attacked?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

I've been doing some more reading about Paramedics/EMTs and the violence they experience. I am probably going to experience it no doubt when I become an EMT. Just a few months ago in our city, a patient of an EMS crew got their ambulance stolen. It took a helicopter, and 12 police cars to catch him. Now most medics wear bullet-proof vests. In my city they do.

I was also reading about how all the paramedics in Edmonton have experienced violence at least once, and 97% more than twice. So on, and so forth. I would just like to know if any of the paramedics/EMTs on this site have been attacked, if so; tell your stories.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easy answer for me is yes I have been attacked while on duty. The more complex answer is that in over 15 years of EMS service, the 2 times it occurred are certainly not the normal experience. If I had followed the advice of keep your eyes open, pay attention to your surroundings, and make sure you have an exit, the first time probably would not have occurred at all.

Well, with all the psych calls we go on and all the "unknown medicals" we go on, it's just bound to happen. Most aren't brutal attacks, but you often might end up getting physical...be it with a psych patient who's trying to harm themselves or a confused diabetic. Different crews also choose different stages at which to call for PD.

Megan'

I have been in quite a few "go arounds" with quite a few patients. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as attacks. I see an attack as getting ambushed as I walk through the door of a house, as I exit my ambulance, or being charged in hostile situations. That has not happened. But as mentioned most have found or will find themselves in a physical situation due to a psyche', diabetic, and drunks to name a few. Let me add though, that I live in a fairly mellow part of the country. I'm sure that those who practice in the big cities have found themselves under attack quite frequently. My advice to you, is to always expect the unexpected this way your guard is never down.

Good luck

Simple answer: yes

I've worked in psych hospitals for over 17 years. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to physically put "hands on" a patient. Learning how NOT to get yourself into a lose/lose situation is always the best approach. This is true with ANY type of patient, not just the psych patients. That requires using our brains. Experience has been the best teacher. I've has some scary moments. One thing I make sure of each day:

I will go home in the same condition I came to work in.

Shayne

I have been attacked by drunks, spousal abusers, etc. but the worst battle I've encountered on duty was a rugby player suffering from heat stroke who due to his decreased LOC decided that I was sleeping with his girlfriend. Alone in the back, BLS, RLS response to the hospital (closest place I was going to find help). As we are backing into the bay, pt. loses consciousness. I walk into the ER, shirt ripped, bleeding, drenched in sweat. I get the normal "What the F--- happened to you?" I just point at the unconscious pt. and shrug.

Interesting. As of the time I submitted my vote and posted this 10/12 voted they'd been attacked at work.

What does that say?

It says that while we always preach "scene safety" you can never guarantee that the scene is safe. You can never guarantee your patient will be safe. You can never guarantee or predict what others on scene will do. While you may think it's safe, and there may be cops there, it can deteriorate very quickly.

This can be, at times, a very dangerous job. Don't think it won't happen to you. Take the steps necessary to prevent situations like this from happening to you...but don't think they won't happen.

I almost hijacked this thread on a safety related tangent before remembering that the topic has been covered ad nauseum many times before. So I'll just let it go.

-be safe

[sarcasm]

You know, since this profession is so dangerous, wouldn't it be best to have PD sent to all of our calls, just in case? After all, our "brothers and sisters in public safety" should be more than willing to go to all of our calls, right? I mean, you never know when you're going to need the police and this would cut down on the danger we face. Actually, let's go a step further and merge EMS with police. Since we'd all be police officers, that should solve the problem.

[/sarcasm]

I've never been attacked by a psych patient. Listening to how a lot of my coworkers thought about (your feelings will affect treatment, maybe not overtly, but it will affect your actions unconsciously (tone of voice, word choice, etc) and treated psych patients, it honestly does not surprise me that people get attacked from time to time.

[sarcasm]

You know, since this profession is so dangerous, wouldn't it be best to have PD sent to all of our calls, just in case? After all, our "brothers and sisters in public safety" should be more than willing to go to all of our calls, right? I mean, you never know when you're going to need the police and this would cut down on the danger we face. Actually, let's go a step further and merge EMS with police. Since we'd all be police officers, that should solve the problem.

[/sarcasm]

Sarcasm noted.;)

However, I feel compelled to note that I *do* work in an area that sends the cops out to *every* call we get. Each and every one! Guess what? I've still been assaulted. Even with the cop standing right there.

Granted, I don't have to worry about pressing charges at that point or even showing up at court. The officer witnessed it which is good enough. But the fact that any person, psych patient or not, would disregard the presence of a cop (and regardless of how I approach the patient) to attack me or my partner should say something.

Despite our good working relationship, cops can't guarantee our safety. We have to do that ourselves. The cops are always good to have around and I would never decline the offer of having one on scene with me. But unfortunately, people don't always respect them either.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.