Police: Paramedic Sexually Assaulted Patient

Scaramedic

Should we have cameras in the back?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • No, it's a HIPAA violation?
    • Screw HIPAA it could be my ass on the line.

[align=center:e13ac52230]Police: Paramedic Sexually Assaulted Patient

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland police arrested a paramedic on charges he sexually assaulted a woman while she was being taken to a hospital.

Police began their investigation when they were called to Emanuel Hospital on Saturday.

The victim told officers she had been sexually assaulted by ??-year-old ??, who had responded to assist her with a medical problem.

After detectives investigated, they arrested ?? on two counts of sexual assault in the first degree.

Detectives are still investigating the incident.

They're seeking information from other women who may have received emergency medical care from ?? while he was working as an AMR paramedic.[/align:e13ac52230]

You know what I love about shit like this? The headline is "Paramedic Sexually Assaulted Patient" and in the body of the article is this "Detectives are still investigating the incident." Guilty until proven innocent. That's all I'll say on this one.

Also I won't post the Medics name on a national/international forum. If you must know who it is, Google it.

So when are we going to get smart and put cameras in the back to protect everyone? The patient, the Medic and the company/city/department. That's my opinion.

So what's your opinion?

Hell, I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that you took the time to edit the name and age of the medic! How cool/respectful is that? =D>

As many know, I'm still a student doing phase II preceptorship, so my opinion is worth about as much as your average 6th grader.

But I don't really see the issue. If it's good for the cops, that seem to have a much larger diversity of situations to be 'caught' in, why not EMS?

I can't believe there aren't negatives...I just don't see what they might be...

Dwayne

It's called patient privacy.

According to my understanding::::

You cannot video tape anything in an area where one would expect privacy. The back of the ambulance fits that bill.

Plus, what happens when a video of some patient care get's out on Youtube.

Unfortunately the media eats this crap up and they print this stuff without due regard for anyone's professional or personal statust. A shocking headline is sure to get everyone up in arms.

Now this medic will never work again and any person who questions why he lifted their breast to put a 12 lead sticker on their chest can now come forward and say "He touched me on the breast too"

WE live in a lynchmob society where the simple accusation is enough to ruin people's career, livelihood and life.

but.... we have to keep on doin what we do everyday, living under the threat that at any time this can happen to us. If you put an EKG lead on a woman's chest you should explain why you are doing it and if possible do it with as little manipulation as you can. But unfortunately even those precautions will not keep this from happening.

NOW---- if this guy is truly guilty then he needs to be drummed out of ems and lose his license and go to JAIL. But since there is no details as to what he actually did other than an accusation, then we won't know this so we cannot armchair quarterback it.

You know what I love about shit like this? The headline is "Paramedic Sexually Assaulted Patient" and in the body of the article is this "Detectives are still investigating the incident." Guilty until proven innocent. That's all I'll say on this one.

It is important to note the full title, "Police: Paramedic Sexually Assaulted Patient." This is no different that any other time that any news outlet speaks of someone as if they are guilty but adds "accused" or "alleged" in many times. The police arrest people who they say committed a crime, after that it can be worked out in court. Does it look good for the profession? No. But is it someone targeting EMS to make us look bad? Probably not.

You cannot video tape anything in an area where one would expect privacy. The back of the ambulance fits that bill.

Unfortunately the media eats this crap up and they print this stuff without due regard for anyone's professional or personal statust. A shocking headline is sure to get everyone up in arms.

Now this medic will never work again and any person who questions why he lifted their breast to put a 12 lead sticker on their chest can now come forward and say "He touched me on the breast too"

WE live in a lynchmob society where the simple accusation is enough to ruin people's career, livelihood and life.

but.... we have to keep on doin what we do everyday, living under the threat that at any time this can happen to us. If you put an EKG lead on a woman's chest you should explain why you are doing it and if possible do it with as little manipulation as you can. But unfortunately even those precautions will not keep this from happening.

NOW---- if this guy is truly guilty then he needs to be drummed out of ems and lose his license and go to JAIL. But since there is no details as to what he actually did other than an accusation, then we won't know this so we cannot armchair quarterback it.

He could probably still get a job in California until they figure out how to do background checks on their EMS applicants.

This has been a problem in the past before we did do background checks. And, yes there have been many disturbing news headlines even in Florida. Unfortunately, the psych and police detainees also heard about this and used it as a "get out of jail free" card. So, for the longest time we were careful to run male/female crews for these transports.

And yes, we have had patients in our ED for a rape exam that were accusing their transporting EMT or Paramedic. We've also had patients from another hospital who were assaulted in their patient rooms. We've had RNs, RTs and MDs accused and convicted of sexual assault. Extreme cases but not unheard of and yet, can be more common than one would expect in the healthcare profession. Sexual assault can have different definitions to many people. The privacy of the victim is protected as much as possible. Rarely do the majority of assaults ever make it to the news. I will occasionally see a suspicious loss of license in the state EMS bulletin.

The paramedic's attorney could also have leaked this to the press in hopes to discredit the victim by getting support for his/her client. And, this could have back fired. We have also seen on TV how anxious other members of EMS are to get their 15 minutes with a news teams. The police will keep as much of it private as possible but too much must be made as public record.

I don't know what to make of the patient privacy issue anymore. We have video cameras everywhere in the hospital and on the specialty transport ambulances we own.

In the ICUs we have a live video camera in each patient room as a second set of eyes. The people monitoring these cameras are hospital staff and physicians who identify themselves but may not be personally known to us. The patients may be too sick to be informed and may not ever get informed about the cameras although it is in fine print on the information handed to them at sometime during their stay. When we want to undress or bathe the patient, we just stare at the camera until it swivels around. Sometimes we have to tell "it" to remember its manners. It is a little unnerving but we get used to it until we hear a voice from above speaking to us.

The violation of HIPAA would be if the information was transmitted by unsecure means or used for other than its intended purposes of patient and personnel safety. HIPAA would not be the issue as much as your own company's privacy policies.

Even in the hospital, employees and physicians are not immune to sexual assault charges. Even with EKGs we are very careful and if there is a choice a female will do the EKG on a female. Even as a female, I will be careful to expose and touch what is necessary unless it it is emergently impossible. It is rare for an EKG dept to have male EKG techs for the routines. In the ED and ICUs it is not that much of a problem due to the lack of privacy in those areas.

We even have male foley techs for men of various cultures that don't want any female not married or possessed by them to touch their penis.

I also can not imagine healthcare providers murdering patients but we have enough Court TV cases about nurses. Every California RT will also be forced to remember Efren Saldivar, the Angel of Death, every time they recertify their mandated Ethics course. You can not imagine the scutiny California's RT profession went through on that one. And then, along came the child molester and Respiratory Therapist, Wayne Albert Bleyle, at Rady Children's Hospital. These were just two cases but they made not just national headlines on CNN but also international headlines.

This paramedic assault will probably run in the local paper and get picked up by the EMS wires for EMS professionals to make a deal about being in the news and think the press is picking on them. I don't expect Anderson Cooper to fly in for coverage. However, Nancy Grace might like this case.

There was something about using video feed to the ER doc at some point. Can't remember which EMS mag had it. That would still be video, might provide protection. I actually think a service could record all calls there would have to be very strict control of recordings but I am not a lawyer. Any EMS lawyers on here please let us know.

Now if guy is truly guilty hope they string him up and let the kids beat him. :twisted:

I also agree we need more facts. There are way to many times that we must touch people or strip people. Perhaps she mistook a necessary touch as wrong. Perhaps she already knew the paramedic and was mad at him. Lets get more facts as they come out.

This brings to mind the EL Paso Fire paramedic that thought the patient was out cold and sucked on her breasts. She informed the hospital. DNA done. Busted. Never heard what his punishment was.

He should have been used as a pinata also.

In my old service I wish we would have had video as we had so many OB calls.

I believe that's true, though I'm far from sure, unless they are notified of the recording. It seems a small sign would fit that bill. Also, I would imagine, in reference to Vent's post, that the data is simply rotated without being watched for the most part, unless it's needed for a complaint or QA.

Then you track down the dirtbag that is responsible and violate them on HIPAA, as well as fire them for being morally and eithically unsound to work in the health professions.

Again, I'm sure there's more to this than I'm seeing...It just seems that if the recording in your ambulance is going to sneak up and catch you being professional, kind, and compassionate, that that would be a good thing.

Dwayne

I believe that's true, though I'm far from sure, unless they are notified of the recording. It seems a small sign would fit that bill. Also, I would imagine, in reference to Vent's post, that the data is simply rotated without being watched for the most part, unless it's needed for a complaint or QA.

Every patient in our ICUs are watched 24/7. The people monitoring the cameras are also required to chart periodically on the CR monitors, med pumps and ventilator settings. If I turn the ventilator away from the camera for even a few minutes, I get screeching from someone attached to that damn thing in the ceiling. They also have electronic access to all orders for comparison.

And no, it is not a HIPAA violation because they are serving a purpose for patient safety.

Every patient in our ICUs are watched 24/7. The people monitoring the cameras are also required to chart periodically on the CR monitors, med pumps and ventilator settings. If I turn the ventilator away from the camera for even a few minutes, I get screeching from someone attached to that damn thing in the ceiling. They also have electronic access to all orders for comparison.

So there is a way to make video legally. What we need is a lawyer that specializes in EMS to let us know what we need to do it legally. Of course it will probably vary by state.

So there is a way to make video legally. What we need is a lawyer that specializes in EMS to let us know what we need to do it legally. Of course it will probably vary by state.

Don't forget all the recent articles about video conferencing ambulances, their medical control and/or ED.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.