Military ribbons with on-duty uniform

NBPCP

Threebl9mice, I cannot believe that there are people who would deny we're in a shooting war.

Also, my agency, the FDNY is a municipal civil service, and, as previously mentioned, we have numerous personnel (fire fighters, fire marshals, EMTs and Paramedics) who have been to, and are actively this day in what is so euphemistically called "The Sandbox", as reservists in the US Military.

Under Civil Service Law, which I don't know if it is State or City, any US Military Veterans applying for a civil service job, WILL get preference, provided they pass the entry tests, for the job applied for.

Yes Yes, Yes! I do. I wear an airforce (RNZAF) medal and a St John medal. ( Just the ribbons actually)Both have been approved and issued by the Queen, and I am proud to wear them.

Here in NZ it is common practice to wear service ribbons when in uniform.

If you are wondering if you should wear yours, there must be some info from the issuing authority about if you are allowed to wear them. If you have earned them, and are allowed to wear the ribbons on your uniform then I say ' go for it' and wear with pride

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen a few Police Officers with metals or Jump Wings (not any medics though), I think it's fine, it is a metal earned just like any other one would earn serving the public.

I wear a support our troops pin on my coat as well!

I was confronted one time by a 'Nam veteran, noting I was wearing a military combat medic badge. My explanation was to honor those who had died, as, per statements from me in other strings, there is much we do was pioneered by combat medics and corpsmen.

The vet explained that, as I had not earned the badge, and, indeed, as I never had been in the military, someone who had needed their services might get in my face about me wearing it. He was a friend, and understood my explanation, but others might not.

I still have the badge, but only display it on certain holidays.

• 2 months later...

I considered it a personal choice until I read Richard B's response. I'm sorry Richard but since you did not earn that piece you should not wear it even if it is to honor those who died. Would you be ok with somebody wearing a paramedic rocker in honor of those who have gone before? Or an RN pin?

You are wearing an insignia that is stateing you have recieved specific training possibly above the level you are practiceing, never mind the emotional reaction that some may feel for the service those men provided.

In the interest of full disclosure a was a Corpsman (HM3/8404 4th MarDiv, Fox Company) and I do not wear any designation on my uniform.

• 3 weeks later...

My hubby is a police officer and when he first started he used to wear his ribbons. Soon they became dirty and fell off. He has since stopped wearing them because he has become tired of replacing them.

As for me, I don't wear anything on my uni. I figure I've got enough going on with my just my trusting pen and 'scope.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.