Ink

SA_Medic

EMS professionals and tattoo's?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • As long as it's covered

I have one, on right ankle... something that has meaning to me.. It isn't visible when I am at work.

A lot of my friends have tattoos... they are something very personal, and not meant for everyone.

I do feel that it is professional to have them covered while at work. There are still those who find them less than professional, and in respect, I can honor their opinions and keep mine covered. I do intend to get another one, but it will also be in a location where it will only be visible when I am off duty...

I have one and am preparing to get another. The first one is a memorial to my grandfather and the other will be EMS related. But like Annie, I keep them confined to places where I can cover them if the situation warrants it. Some people are just plain bothered by them, though the agencies in my city seem to be evenly split. Two require them to be covered and the other 2 allow them to be visible as long as they are not by their nature offensive or vulgar (there goes my pin-up girl). Personally, if I were in a bad MVC and the EMT/Medic taking care of me had tattoos on his face, I wouldnt care as long as I was getting competant care. I do disagree with piercings other than earrings (both for men and women) and if I were ever in a position to hire someone, I would say you need to be able to cover it or take it out. Seems like more folks are bothered by piercings than tattoos. One of my IMERT commanders has both tattoos and earrings but there is certainly no questioning his knowledge and skill as a professional, which is obvious from the fact that he runs the EMS office at one of our local hospital. Im starting a CERT team and will have the same general policy that they can show as long as they are not overboard or vulgar. I worked once with a paramedic who if he was not wearing long sleeves you could see a White Power ink on his forearm. He was given the choice of wearing long sleeves all the time, having it removed or quitting. I believe he chose the latter.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 6.. One on each forearm, one on my upper back, two on my lower, and one on my right calf. I've noticed that most EMS out here wear the jump suits. So, I should be okay. But, even if I wear short sleeves, my forearm ones are nice and not huge, no words, nothing offensive...

I attended a lecture on injuries to the genitalia, and had nightmares after seeing a picture of several men with different styles of the "Prince Albert".

For those who don't know about this, it is a body piercing done along the shaft and head of the penis.

I attended a lecture on injuries to the genitalia, and had nightmares after seeing a picture of several men with different styles of the "Prince Albert".

I had a medic partner one shift whip his out and ask for a blow job, while driving emergent. He said his piercing made it feel even better. :shock: That image has given me nightmares for awhile now.

-Kat

I had a medic partner one shift whip his out and ask for a blow job, while driving emergent. He said his piercing made it feel even better. :shock: That image has given me nightmares for awhile now. -Kat

While I commend your restraint (who really wants to be found dead in an ambulance when the other party is found with his junk out), I sincerely hope you kicked him in it at your next opportunity.

Probably should have, but it wouldn't have done any good. This medic is well known for pulling that kind of thing and has been reported in the past. Nothing has been done. It also wouldn't have gone over very well on my end, because about that time I reported another medic for sexual assault/harassment.

-Kat

This medic is well known for pulling that kind of thing and has been reported in the past. Nothing has been done.

Reported to the police? As in immediatly pulling the ambulance over and calling 911 to report indecent exposure? Being able to explicitly describe his piercing would make prosecution a slam dunk. I find it hard to believe that he has been reported to the police and nothing was done.

As for the agency doing anything about it, obviously this is some low-budget mom and pop operation, and not a professional agency anyhow, so no loss if they don't want you there. I don't know why you would want to stay at an agency that does not protect you. It speaks very poorly for your professionalism that you would condone that and stay. Don't you have a lick of self esteem?

Regardless, his being "well known" for sexually inappropriate behaviour does not insulate him. It only sets him up for a harder fall when somebody finally has the guts to pursue it.