ADDED TO YOUR JOB DISCRIPTION:

But to think that my government is going to try to make me invade the privacy of my patients, which is supposed to be a sacred sort of relationship?

................. I would definitely never comply with anything that would put me in such a position.

As far as I see it, the recommendations were to "Allow employees to confidentially opt into the information collection program. Requiring employees to opt into the program reinforces that participation is voluntary."

Red, you are an American, and as such, if a law were passed requiring the reporting of things you saw on a call, you would report those things, or you would be in violation of the law. Wether a law is "right" or not is not your call. If you choose to ignore this law, where will you stop determining the "correctness" of our laws and which ones you will obey?

As a child of the 60's, I understand civil disobedience, but as an adult in the 2000's, I understand we need to express our opinions to the lawmakers of this country. We ultimately can use our voices and our votes to shape the future of our country.

As always, the opinions expressed above are my own and are freely offered, and are worth as much as they cost.

PC

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with 13 as well. but onto my own 2 ccents...

I don't remember if it actually happened, or is just an urban legend or whatever, but I remember a discussion in emt school about the local pd using an ambulance for a sting operation. EMS still takes potshots for that one...and I don't meed good natured flack from coworkers...I'm talking actual lead bullets.

LEO's wear bp vests, carry equipment to shoot back, and are trained in such matters. I am not. Please don't ask me to do their job - I am not equipped for the consequences nor trained to do it properly.

I don't remember if it actually happened, or is just an urban legend or whatever, but I remember a discussion in emt school about the local pd using an ambulance for a sting operation. EMS still takes potshots for that one...and I don't meed good natured flack from coworkers...I'm talking actual lead bullets

That actually did happen. I'll see if I can't find the story.

**EDIT** found it

Linky

OMG, where the heck do I start. I would be honored to report anyone trying to engage in terroristic activities. What a great idea. They don't give a shit about us, so why should we give a shit about them. They killed 3000 Americans that day. @#$%EM, They can be sneaky, so can we. CIVIL RIGHTS go out the window when it comes to terrorism. !!!!

Bingo! There it is!

"Civil rights go out the window when it comes to terrorism". Well this is an "Everyone is a terrorist" mentality, and it is wrong.

This only supports one theory. The terrorists have achieved what they have set out to do... Instill Terror!

As of the current times, as either, an EMT, a Paramedic, a Nurse, a Physician's Assistant (a PA), a doctor, a LEO, or a teacher, those in these titles, per the law in New York State, and probably beyond, are considered "mandated reporters" for child or elder abuse. Except for the LEO and teachers, as they are not a part of the medical field, those handling a child or elder abuse patient are supposed to be acting as "Patient Advocates", looking out for the patient's welfare and best interests. The LEOs and Teachers have their own requirements for making some kind of report, just not as some kind or level of medical care.

As for reporting suspected terrorist activity, I am unsure what to do. It is bad enough trying to work in areas with gangs. When they're not wearing "colors", I cannot identify a Crip from a Blood from a Latin King from an MS 13 (or whatever the name of that group). I am already saying to those I think are gangbangers that, in my line of work, I "officially cannot recognize any gang members AS gang members, as I have to, and will, treat any and all with no regard as to anything except the individual's injuries or illnesses. I cannot take any side in a gang war".

What now? Hezbolla, Al-Qaeda, JDL, Students for a Democratic Society/Weathermen, name of group pending to be determined at a later date?

I have enough paperwork now. Unless I am told, via my chain of command, that in addition to all I am already responsible for, I am looking for terrorists, I won't be, beyond my immediate scene safety for myself, my partner, and my ambulance.

OK, I know some want to go out and hunt terrorists. Be my guest, I just won't be joining you. That decision, whichever side of the issue you are on, neither makes you a good or bad person.

Gasp....what a response. Firstly there is no way any self respecting Paramedic will ever compromise patient care, even if it's to treat the devil himself. That is a given. We are here to provide the best possible care to EVERYONE, without exception, I certainly subscribe to these objectives. Unfortunately I believe that there is no black and white area here, none of us would "snoop" around purely for the sake of being a potential "Hardy Boy". I believe what is called for here is good old EMS common sense, we are (or hopefully will become) experienced enough to "sense" there might be a need to scratch a little deeper, same as we do for suspected child abuse cases etc. Both sides of the argument have merit, it's not an easy call. I believe far more positive will come from this than negative however the days of us being completely impartial might be coming to an end.

This is really an emotive issue, I am still pondering some of the views expressed. Possibly one of the biggest points to ponder is where does this end?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.