Life after EMT-B class

Tibby

What is the best thing to do after getting your EMT-B, if you plan on getting your Paramedics?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Get a job as an EMT-B, work for a little bit before returning to school
    • Get a job as an EMT-B while going to EMT-I/P school
    • If you can afford it, just go to school and get your EMT-P, don't worry about a job yet

I know a some of you have already given your thoughts in various post on this issue, I just wanted to get everyone input into one post. So, what did you pick, and why?

For those of you who picked Work AND school, tell me, is your employer sympathetic to your school? Are they flexible enough with your hours so that can still go to school and study and get off for tests and such?

I took a job and got some experience before attempting P school, I think it is a lot more necessary than I first thought. I would recommend that you get a good solid year or more of full time experience before you think of P school. If you are a part time volunteer then make it several years of experience. Find a job or volunteer position where you get to work around a medic, not just BLS level providers. I didn't think I needed experience because i already had a college degree, boy was I stupid, it is a very different kind of thinking required in EMS, experience is the only way to learn it, BTW you will learn a little humility as well :oops:

Hope this is what you were looking for,

I really believe in the practice of working as an EMT-B for a year or two and then going on to Paramedic Class... Although, I DO know of people who have done them back to back, I ALSO know of people who tried and couldn't make the commitment for that amount of time.

I picked that option because that's what I'm doing.

I want to eventuallygo to Paramedic school, but I want to get some experience as an EMT-I first. For me, working as a Basic has helped me learning to be an Intermediate. Some people might want to work for a while as a Basic before even trying to go to Intermediate, just to see if they can deal with the job.

Well, I'm of the camp of "become a paramedic" whenever you can.

My paramedic program was a two year college degree that encorporated the EMT class into the program. I was already an EMT for 4 years before going into it, so I got to skip that section.

Personally, I think there are some very narrow minded, full of themselves people who through their attitudes and procedures make it a little too hard to initiate paramedic study. I mean, there are places that have waiting lists and interviews, heck I think some even have swimsuit contests, before you can start the program. I say if a paramedic course is adequately set up, any people who are deficient should be weeded out during the program. The "old boy" network of advancement in EMS (you know what I mean, Bob knows Larry, Larry knows Sue, Sue's kid gets into the paramedic program...) should be dismantled once and for all and those who can do the job should be allowed to with out most of the accompanying BS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.