Unsettled

Eydawn

Something is bothering me and I feel that I might feel better for sharing it instead of letting it percolate by itself in my head.

My asthma's gotten very bad in the last couple of weeks. I've had a viral infection that just won't seem to go away... but despite upping my controller med and using the albuterol quite frequently of late, I feel like this is slipping out of my control.

Don't get me wrong. I've had bad times before with this... but something feels different this time. I feel like I might be headed for buying an ET tube in my near future, and it scares the ever-living daylights out of me. I've already been to the ER once this week, on the other end of our business. And I hate it.

I don't really know what to do, or why I'm so scared. I guess that's part of being human... I don't necessarily want everyone to tell me that everything's ok... I just want to know that I'm not crazy for being scared.

Hope everyone else's week is treating them well!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Have you done steroid blast pac?

My asthma got very bad. I actually now have and battle MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity ).

Pretty much everything sets me off. To keep working I have to keep my house basically chemical free so I can get my energy back between shifts. Since I took care of the chemicals ( I have to use lots of organic crap ) in my home I have improved and use my rescue inhaler about 1 time every 3 months. I was doing numerous drugs, steroids, neb, and emergency inhaler ( every 2 hours ) before the MCS was figured out after an allergic reaction sent me to hospital.

In other words consider environmental causes not just physical. Hope this helps. PM if you want to.

Have faith Wendy,

In your doctors, their choice of treatment, yourself and take solace in the fact that their are a lot of people who care about you.

As far as the viral infection, the product Airborne has drastically shortened bouts I have had with the flu. Might check with your doc to see if its OK to use.

I don't really know what to do, or why I'm so scared. I guess that's part of being human... I don't necessarily want everyone to tell me that everything's ok... I just want to know that I'm not crazy for being scared.

Hope everyone else's week is treating them well!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

T'is the season and I have been busy as an RRT.

Did you by chance get a sputum culture done to make sure there is not a bacterial component that could also be easily treated? Recent or current sinus infection? Are you monitoring your peak flows? Is your pulmonary doctor aware of any changes in your peak flows? Are you friends with your Respiratory Therapists?

We've had to adjust the maintenance meds on quite a few asthma patients to get them through the rough times and prepare them for the season. I have a few pts that I am following who are post op and cannot use the steriods yet. I am happy to say that with a lot of vigilence, we'll get them through the rough times.

There are now several alternatives available to most RTs to keep a pt off the tube.

Stay on top of monitoring your breathing, PF and any sign of sputum (sorry about getting personal) changes. And, think positively but not to the point of denial.

Keep the faith and good luck!

No sputum culture... after the duoneb my lungs sounded crystal clear to the doc and the RT in the ED. So they didn't have a high index of suspicion for bacterial. Peak flows slightly diminished but not even into the "yellow" zone *most* of the time.

Haven't been coughing up anything funky looking, but overall secretions have increased markedly, and yes, now that you mention it my sinuses have been killing me.

Thanks, ventmedic...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Like everyone else has said.... keep in contact with your doctor. And, no you aren't crazy for being scared. It's natural and it's human.

Let us know how things are going. You are in my prayers.

Take a look at your diet as well. Many foods we eat, can be harmful to us even if we don't get sick at our stomachs from eating them. My child was alergic to milk and as a nursing infant she had terrible upper resperatory problems, infections and such. Her skin was nasty scaley and ozzing behind her ears, knee's and elbo's. Once we discovered (by word of mouth) that food alergies play a hug part in asthmatic patients, she improved greatly! She eats dairy products in moderation however for YEARS she was a soy only baby. We didn't have to bother with the breathing treatments, inhailers, steriods........ It was SWEET!!

Just food for thougth grain (wheat) alergies can be just as nasty..............

As already mentioned, get the referrals for, and go to, the allergy, pulmonary and respiratory doctors and clinics. The obvious thing is, while you and I, and the rest of EMT City, don't know specifically what is going on, something IS going on with you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.