Motorcycle Ambulance - Are you getting one?

spenac

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lose the badge, name tag, citation bars, and Class B shirt for one.

LOL! Did that question really need to be asked? :?

How about a big fat Star of Life on the back of the helment and back of the leather jacket that should be required for the uniform?

Wonderful for making sure other providers know who you are. But useless to the rest of America, who has no idea what that ugly thing means.

I must be psychic. How did I know it was going to be some big fat dude on that bike? :lol:

In preparation for the 1980 transit strike, the then NYC EMS developed teams to respond to stabilize patients using Mo-Peds, a hybrid motorized bicycle, to use sidewalks if needed, instead of the crowded roadways. In preparation for the expected crowds during the 1986 Statue Of Liberty anniversary/American Independence Day celebration, with the same idea, they started using 3 wheeled Cushman Carts, kind of like a type of golf cart.

After the merger, in park and beach areas, due to us not having all wheel drive ambulances for off road usage, we upgraded, somewhat, by implementing the usage of the 6 wheel, full time drive, John Deere brand "Gater" model golf carts. These are actually capable of carrying portable stretchers from "off road" back to the "road" ambulances.

I know of several Volunteer Ambulance Services, as well as LEO organizations, have bicycle patrols, some used every day, others, just for special events where crowds might block full wheeled vehicles in initial response.

Then, there is the Segway. I doubt I will see it used in NYC, as the State Department of Motor Vehicles has banned it's usage on any public roadway within the state. I want one, just because I think the device looks "cool", but that is just me.

In all cases, with any of these special usage vehicles, due to a bunch of pros and cons, some, or all, will be a good idea for a specific area, and not a good idea in others. Only those working in the local system can answer what is good for their local area.

Then, there is the Segway. I doubt I will see it used in NYC, as the State Department of Motor Vehicles has banned it's usage on any public roadway within the state. I want one, just because I think the device looks "cool", but that is just me.

I know the NYPD used segways a bit, do they still use them? I could see the use of a Segway maybe on beach boardwalks and the such, wonder why we havn't seen that (for EMS purposes). They are expensive little things from what I've heard, but I wonder if it could carry adequate amount of equipment for use in EMS.

Admittedly, I am not on any NYPD mailing list, but when did the NYPD use the Segways? They are using the Gators on the boardwalks and sands of the beaches, as are the FDNY EMS, and city Parks Departments (Parks also use quad-cycles, to much complaint by the local population, who feel that all they do is race them, endangering the public they supposedly protect).

Even as a part of a static display, I have never seen a Segway, in person, in New York City.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.